NAS Compares Where Are the Synology Play, DS421, DS422 and DS221?

Currently reading
NAS Compares Where Are the Synology Play, DS421, DS422 and DS221?

Where Are the Synology Play and Standard Series?​

Yes, as fantastically clickbaity as the title might well suggest, there is simply no other way to put it. Where are the Synology PLAY and Standard series of desktop NAS devices. Synology has really been rather gun-ho about their Prosumer, SMB and Enterprise releases in the PLUS, XS, SA and FS series in the last year, with some genuinely impressive desktop (and rackmount) hardware released in the DS920+, DS1621+, DS1520+, RS3621xs+, RS1221+ to name but a few – but for many low-level users or those looking for a more cost-effective/value series of devices, Synology has been oddly silent. As always, there are always rumours floating around – from CPU manufacturers listing their supported hardware letting the odd system model leak, to the firmware updates revealing more than the brand might like for their planned releases – but in spite of all of this, firm and concrete details on a new range of Synology play devices (ie DS421play, DS221play, DS420, etc, etc) is almost zero. For a brand like Synology, who are generally sticklers to their release schedules, this is very surprising. So, today I want to speculate the reasons for this apparent silence, why we have not seen a follow up to the DS418, DS218 and DS218play, and maybe see if these series might well have been retired.

Disclaimer – This article was written in early March 2021 and although the contents are all done in good faith, I am not a psychic! So, if you are reading this in summer 2021, maybe take a moment to check if it still holds up – maybe the device you are wondering about has already been announced in the meantime.

Continue reading...
- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.