Where do I begin (newbie)

Currently reading
Where do I begin (newbie)

The speed is partly the upload but also partly due to indexing and processing the file for inclusion into the two app libraries. Moments is particularly heavy on the processing when analysing the various types of tagging and face recognition.

You could connect the phones to the Mac with USB and use Image Capture to copy off the photos. Then copy these photos to a folder on the NAS ... any folder in your personal Moments folder will do. For Photo Station I messed with it yday and found it needed to create the folder in ..../photo itslef when creating an Album. If your wife has already got a folder for the backup then copy from Mac into that.

Before doing this you should stop the current backups and when the photos have been copied in then start them but select to only backup new items from now.
I will definitely try this because she has a lot of photos and video it’s taking forever . I’ll keep you guys posted .

I‘m currently using Luminar, but thinking of trying Capture one (I think a limited version shipped with my Sony camera but I never looked at it, too old by now).
Luminar is is easy for quick edits, you can skip the predefined filters (some of them are ok though).
My buddy shoots with Fuji and uses capture one says it works faster then Lightroom I have to check it out . I’m a canon shooter .

Dam I missed the cookies 😢
You missed it all. It was history in the making. Lots of cookies like there’s no tomorrow, celebrations with 2 bit and 16 bit cakes, lots of Pools, many “online experts” joining, demonstrations of the coveted BS. Generator (many members are CEOs now), and there was a time when we were about to move to a cave too and even chats with robots (you missed that one and it’s gone)– our robot defected to the dark side and the last we know is that he defected again and he’s under a witness protection program masqueraded as a Pachinko machine somewhere in Japan!

Fujis are great but mostly APS-C. Mine is a Sony 24MP full frame and the speed with such files is very good (SSD iMac wire connected to the switch)
If yours is one of the new mirrorless Canons then I believe they generate big files (50MP?, not sure).
i have canon 5D3 waiting for canon to step up there game before i buy a new camera . Sony technology is awesome i dont like the fell of the sony camera .

Ok so i backed up the photos and video from our phone to the synology . Thanks now what's the best way to back up our contacts?

looking to get a mirrorless camera next year waiting to see what canon come up with .
Oh please don’t get me wrong. Nothing’s wrong with a dSLR as long as you’re comfortable with it.
I was merely commenting on my preference. I like small things :)

what's the best way to back up our contacts?
Sorry I don’t know how to backup the contacts only. I backup my iOS devices (everything) using a Mac application called iMazing. Runs on the iMac and stores the backups on the Synology DS.

Last edited:
Oh please don’t get me wrong. Nothing’s wrong with a dSLR as long as you’re comfortable with it.
I was merely commenting on my preference. I like small things :)

Sorry I don’t know how to backup the contacts only. I backup my iOS devices (everything) using a Mac application called iMazing. Runs on the iMac and stores the backups on the Synology DS.
i've been thinking of switching to mirrorless for a while now my buddy shoots with a fuji xt2 and brings his lens and filters when we go shoot landscapes and my bag with my canon 5D3 and 24-70 17-40 with my filters way a ton compared to his bag . i went to photoplus this year in new york saw all the canon mirrorless lens how smaller and lighter the where , just waiting for a nice canon mirrorless .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.