Where do I begin (newbie)

Currently reading
Where do I begin (newbie)

Canikon held back to protect their dSLRs and what they introduced was a bit lame. They can’t do that forever, the market has reached a tipping point. They should join in and compete otherwise they’ll risk losing their users base (even the loyal ones).

Good luck with your next purchase.

P.S. I think we’ll be scolded if we keep talking cameras on this thread :)

Canikon held back to protect their dSLRs and what they introduced was a bit lame. They can’t do that forever, the market has reached a tipping point. They should join in and compete otherwise they’ll risk losing their users base (even the loyal ones).

Good luck with your next purchase.

P.S. I think we’ll be scolded if we keep talking cameras on this thread :)
I like robust and durable magnesium alloy body of my D7100, survived frequently open sea salted-humidity weather, also cold ski winter snow downfalls. Of course there is open list of comparable vendors and models, but each of us has own favorite. And it is good. Difference is helpful for personal growth. Share your experiences.
My proposal is move additional entry regarding photo HW into Lounge area.

Contacts and calendars I’m guessing are centralised using iCloud servers so really you want to take a copy of the data.

The easiest way would be to run DSM Synology Calendars and CardDAV packages. Then add accounts for these in the respective Mac apps and copy across the data. You’ll have to create each calendar first.

Otherwise it’s taking a monolithic backup of everything using iTunes (or Finder in Catalina) or a third party app such as iMazing (which I also use). I’ve never tested if iCloud data is within these backups but hope it is.

I’ve never had an issue with iCloud contacts or calendars and have used them from when they first appeared: that’ll be MobileMe probably cos I don’t think iTools had it.

In my role of family tech support my advice was to use iCloud since it’s been solid so far. And I’ve found iMazing to be very reliable at doing a scheduled backup over WiFi, unlike iTunes which has never started a backup.

The easiest way would be to run DSM Synology Calendars and CardDAV packages. Then add accounts for these in the respective Mac apps and copy across the data. You’ll have to create each calendar first.
a third party app such as iMazing (which I also use).
These are my settings too. I need contacts in CardDAV because I also use a Windows computer and need to sync contacts there too.

On Windows I use eM Client with CalDAV and CardDAV.
Yes, that works. Initially, I installed eM to edit my CardDAV entries since the DSM CardDAV interface is abysmal and editing addresses there puts the address in a single field. Syno's CardDAV fails even to meet Synology's "good enough" mantra. And heavens knows when it will be vCard 4.0 compliant, as it fails at v3.0.
/soapbox

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.