where do you place the NAS on the rack

Currently reading
where do you place the NAS on the rack

Noise and rack NAS are two dependent and expected thinks. This product isn’t targeted to living room.
But you can use screwdriver and remove the fans. It will be quiet :cool:
Or put the entire NAS into mineral oil aquarium. To be sure - except PSU. 5y ago I was made such kind of cooling for RPi neurone network.

@jeyare well pretty sure hard disk would still be happy at 45° C, fanspeed could be reduced a lot until that limit. The DS215+ (not an arm) was able to have 18 dbA and pretty sure the RS819 could achieve it also without too much impact on the HW.

back to thermal airflow from RS819.
Theory first:
Normal operation condition for HDDs is in range between 5-50 degrees Celsius (up to model). But ideal is between 25-40, again up to model.
Why ideal? You can minimize the drive failures, data loss and you keep maxed disk lifespan.
Here is photo of your uncovered NAS:

8115A7BC-B4B9-4F18-885E-4ADC38B34E09.png

three 40x40mm fans for airflow from 4xHDDs and entire heat from CpU, MoBo and PSU:
- left one must take airflow from CPU and from Disk no 1
- middle one must take constant heat from MoBo and from PSU + Disk no 2 (more demand for this fan) ... I would like change this one for constant full speed in room operation condition
- last one is for heat carrying from Disk no 4 and max. 20% from Disk no 3

Then Disk 3 heat is taken slowly and there must be heat beaming into Disk 2 and 3.

Conclusion:
it’s really better to switch the fans into operation, that will decrease your HDD temp under 40 constantly. Keep your eyes for CPU.

Try to change it for Noctua low-noise fans.
But from my scientific point of view you need some tuning perform for quite and proper operation:
- divide disks and Motherboard environment by plastic wall and hot glue gun
- Two big holes (200mm) from top disks side for two quiet Noctua fans, better with external thermo regulator (independent from NAS)
- change the three small fans for Noctua low noise fans, better when connected into central thermal regulation mentioned above
Then you get quiet, low noise and safe NAS operation. Nothing is for free, specially when you need silence.

@benoitc
Cool, this one is for our Media section :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.