Where does the OS partition appear in the GUI?

Currently reading
Where does the OS partition appear in the GUI?

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
I've been experiencing some minor problems with TeamViewer on my DS920+ that no one has been able to figure out (or even heard of).

It seems like a clean install of DSM will be the easiest way to solve my stubborn TeamViewer problems at this point.

Before proceeding with Reset Mode 2 and performing a wipe/reinstall of DSM, I wanted to see for myself that DSM has its own partition.

When I open Storage Manager and click on the Volumes tab, I only see Volume 1 (my data volume). I can't see another volume for DSM.

Question 1:

Why doesn't the DSM partition appear under Volumes? Is DMS's own volume always hidden and invisible to the user from the GUI? Is there essentially a Volume 0 that I can't see?

Is there any possibility that DSM ended up installed on my Data partition or is that absolutely impossible?

1608577367306.png

I'm slightly nervous about reinstalling DSM when I can't visually confirm that it has its own partition. I don't want to risk wiping out my data partition after doing Reset Mode 2 and reinstalling DSM.

Question 2:

Is it true that DSM is striped across all installed drives in a RAID 1 partition?

Wouldn't that mean that any single drive failure would cause a loss of the DSM partition as it would have no parity?

just imagine, that DSM is for great range spectrum of users from beginners to pro-levels.
there isn’t chance to provide all possible features in GUI, then we have CLI.
One of the pointless is about partitions. No need more for beginners.

Reset:
There is a “loader” stored in mainboard.
For the Reset method n. 2 you will just reinstall your DSM, no wipe data in the drives.

Q2: no

there is another problem - target of installed packages is chosen volume in your NAS.

Reset:
There is a “loader” stored in mainboard.
For the Reset method n. 2 you will just reinstall your DSM, no wipe data in the drives.

That's good to hear.

I was just wondering if I could somehow confirm that DSM is installed in a different partition - perhaps using the CLI if necessary to view this hidden system partition.

Last edited:
If the 4 drives in my DS920+ are configured in RAID 5, and all I see is Storage Pool 1, then where is DSM installed?

I'm assuming that DSM is located outside Storage Pool 1?

1608588494505.png

How is DSM's partition protected against drive failure?
-- post merged: --

I just did some more research and it looks like the answer is yes.

DSM is mirrored across all drives. There is a hidden RAID 1 partition on each drive - each with its own copy of DSM.

1608590215210.png

Simple explanation DSM is:

- boot loader ... contains kernel and necessary kernel module, initial RAM disk (root FS). When you lose this part of your NAS, you will lose all your motherboard, except serious reflashing of the boot loader, that can give back your NAS to normal state.
Simple - there is stored your DSM firmware.

- rest of linux subsystems (part of DSM) and DSM packages, e.g. Drive, ... are stored in chosen Volume by user. When you lose the volume, you lose also your packages stored in (e.g. Drive DB = versioning). There you can find also stored hidden @directories (e.g. @iSCSI, ...) contains copy of your data based on right FS architecture or faulty Syno decisions.

- your stored data. This part isn’t part of the DSM.

Yes this is Achilles’ tendon of Synology = there isn’t possible backup of the entire DSM subsystems. This is one of reasons why Syno can’t be accepted in enterprise architecture. Second is missing enterprise level support. Reason why single DSM system can’t be sustainable for “j-class” and datacentre NASes.

If the 4 drives in my DS920+ are configured in RAID 5, and all I see is Storage Pool 1, then where is DSM installed?

I'm assuming that DSM is located outside Storage Pool 1?

View attachment 2646

How is DSM's partition protected against drive failure?

I just did some more research and it looks like the answer is yes.

DSM is mirrored across all drives. There is a hidden RAID 1 partition on each drive - each with its own copy of DSM.

View attachment 2647
this is a reason, why we have civilization decadence - too much bull shi.ts there

Last edited:
We can split down the "rest of linux subsystem" further:

There are two raid1 volumes used for the linux subsystem - no packages are installed here. You can check their details on the command line (as root of course):
Bash:
mdadm --detail /dev/md0 # 1st partition of drives
mdadm --detail /dev/md1 # 2nd partition of drives
Actualy /dev/md0 is mounted as / and /dev/md1 is the swap partition.

While the first two are always hidden in the ui, the next ones are the ones you created in the ui:
Bash:
mdadm --detail /dev/md[2-9] # 5th partition of drives
Those are the user created volumes, where packages are installed into.

Is it true that DSM is striped across all installed drives in a RAID 1 partition?

Wouldn't that mean that any single drive failure would cause a loss of the DSM partition as it would have no parity?
Quite the contrary: with raid1 the partitions are mirrored, thus either one of the copies have to be healthy to boot - it is the opposite of raid0, which would have been the stripping you were talking about (which it is not).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.