Where to store archived data (pictures, videos etc)

Currently reading
Where to store archived data (pictures, videos etc)

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I was wondering if you would be kind enough to assist me. I own a DS218+ which I mainly use to backup most of my work (RAW picture files, audio production files, video production files etc).
The issue that I have is that I'm trying to find a way to store archived files that I've held onto ever since I own a PC. Those files mostly contain memories such as old pictures, songs, videos and pretty much collections from my childhood and teenage years. The problem is that I don't actually want to back any of it up but I can't think of any alternative.

I normally use backblaze for backups (as well as my synology) but backblaze won't let me NOT backup and all I need is to store those files somewhere and leave them there permanently. The reason why I don't want to backup those files is that if they get corrupted because of a failure to the hard drive then it will automatically copy the corrupted file onto the server which is basically what I don't want. I don't know if I'm making any sense?

I rarely open those files and I could just leave them on a hard drive but I normally buy a new hard drive every two years and transfer the files over to make sure the files remain intact.
I just would like to store those files onto a server that doesn't need to be backed up because those are old collections that I take a look at only once in a while. As I mentioned, after 30 days, if the hard drive isn't connected to BackBlaze, then I think they remove it from the server, but I'm looking for an alternative where I could just store the files on a server for good just to keep them safe. Do you have any recommendation? I hope this isn't too confusing.

Thank you so much for your help

Best regards

Benjamin

Welcome to the forum Benjamin.

So you are looking for an "archive" mode of storage. Store it and forget it. Maybe Synology C2 storage or even Object Storage service would be an option for you.

C2 doesn't change for egress traffic, and you can use HyperBackup to transfer data onto C2 and after that stop the task. The data will be accessible via web portal, as well as HB (in case you want to restore).

Price will be for used space only.

There also are several other cloud options available.
I can recommend e.g. idrive as they offer 5TB.
My top recommendations (reliable, fast, functionality) in EU are:
Hidrive (Strato) For Hyper Backup, PC and mobile devices as well.
stackstorage of transip.nl (no Hyper backup, only webdav and cloud sync)

There also are several other cloud options available.
I can recommend e.g. idrive as they offer 5TB.
My top recommendations (reliable, fast, functionality) in EU are:
Hidrive (Strato) For Hyper Backup, PC and mobile devices as well.
stackstorage of transip.nl (no Hyper backup, only webdav and cloud sync)
I concur! I've been a happy HiDrive user for some years now. My NAS is syncing selected folders to HiDrive. Also, I have HyperBackup running a daily backup job. Your Synology NAS can do both.
The good thing about have the photo library synced with HiDrive is that I have access to the when I'm away from home. That way, I don't have to allow remote access to my NAS when I want to show pictures to friends... :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back