Info Where's the path?

Currently reading
Info Where's the path?

NAS
DS4l8play, DS202j, DS3623xs+, DSM 7.3.3-25847
In another thread I described an issue I'm having with a rclone mount. Presently rclone lives in /bin/rclone. I'm thinking that my issue might involve permissions related to rclone's location... so I'm thinking to move rclone within /volume1 (if that's nuts, tell me so).

But... I want it to be executable from wherever, so I'd like to locate it on a path that my Synology administrator group has rights to. Where might that be... or how I can set the path to /volume1/bin... for example.

Yes I'm waaaay rusty on all this stuff (no offense to Rusty).

TIA!

Normal place in *ix would be /usr/local/bin which allows users to add their own executables and other types of file.

But if /bin is in the DSM partition (is it?) then wouldn't that be susceptible to being overwritten during an update? A thought.

So placing under a NAS volume location would probably be better. Even could create a new shared folder that has restricted access. I'd still go in via SSH and set file permissions, or at least check them.

rclone natively installed to /usr/bin, so I moved it to /volume1/homes/user1/bin and ran from there. So it did run, but it did not solve my rclone move/copy issue within File Station.

Maybe if I run my rclone script as sudo all will be well. IDK... just guessing around.

Thanks for your reply.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back