Which app for streaming server?

NAS
DS118
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello all: I want to stream music from my DS218play to a NAIM NDX streamer. I've been told I need to install a server app on the NAS to do this, but which one - audio station or media server? I currently stream both audio and video to Kodi to my TV on my Amazon Firestick but was told in no uncertain terms that I need a server app for the streamer(?!)

Good choice, the Naim.

It depends on how you want to operate it. Audio station can be used to push the music to the NAIM, you operate Audio Station and tell it to stream the music to Naim.
if you want to do it the other way around; operate the Naim app and pick up music files from the Synology by mapping the music folder.
if you prefer you can then also use the synology media server as a source and find your music in that way.

Last edited:
Follow-up...

If the NAIM NDX supports connecting directly to a SMB/CIFS shared folder then I'm willing to bet that it will be just like other network streamers and only support SMB v1. Which is vulnerable and shouldn't be enabled on the NAS. My Denon HEOS devices only support SMB v1 even though they get fairly regular firmware updates, and so I don't use this method of accessing music files.

Audio Station, as @EAZ1964 said, can often be used with a DLNA/UPnP speaker as the audio destination (doing this with the mobile app with make the app a remote control between AS and the speaker, i.e. the stream is direct between AS and speaker and not via the phone)...
1659777144536.png

You can see I have a mix of DLNA(/UPnP) receiving devices and AirPlay. I also use AirConnect in Docker to add AirPlay to some DLNA/UPnP device.

Going back to Media Server: once you have it working and can see it and play media from the NDX you can then play around with the menu layout so that you can access the music how you like it. I found using an SSDP interval of 5 seconds helped keep the server visible.

1659777594253.png

Plus created a custom menu to make it easier to access my separate folders of music: standard quality (320kbps AAC /256kbps MP3); CD quality (ALAC); Hi-Q (anything better than CD).
1659777665541.png

Attachments

• 1659777634638.png
    1659777634638.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
"It will be just like other network streamers and only support SMB v1"

That may be the case but my Audiopro equipment does use SMB3 :)

"It will be just like other network streamers and only support SMB v1"

That may be the case but my Audiopro equipment does use SMB3 :)
Stop bragging :)

I'm sure I've seen others having issues with network audio devices and the DSM 7 move to default to SMBv2. The NDX 2 seems to be the current device so I assumed NDX is older.

Stop bragging :)

I'm sure I've seen others having issues with network audio devices and the DSM 7 move to default to SMBv2. The NDX 2 seems to be the current device so I assumed NDX is older.
Sorry it is not meant as bragging;
it is meant to address an incorrect generalising statement on audio streaming devices.
Anyway I apologise, both posts are not helping the OP and off topic.

Sorry it is not meant as bragging
I knew that. I wish Denon fixed it. I don’t want to mention other brands that still need SMB V1 as it would mean researching it but I think it was some popular brands.

Still it is a subject that it is worth being aware about.

I believe my current NAIM HDX uses SMB1 but everything is local to the HDX (2 x 500gb internal HDDs). It can access a NAS for backup purposes. The thing is, the HDX isn't really supported by NAIM any longer so I've backed everything up on the NAS and am looking for a NAIM streamer that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and that I can use pretty much as I did the HDX (ie controlling everything from the streamer/streamer software vs controlling if from the NAS).

I would recommend installing Minimserver on your NAS as the library, it is highly configurable and the guy who runs it is seriously responsive - he usually responds within a day. I think for a lot of audiophiles it is the standard audio server.

Audio Station was simply too basic for my liking, not much to browsing other than Genre/Album Artist/Year etc....

You can then either use the Naim as the control point, or an app like BubbleUPnP (Android) - I have tried many Android control points and this is by far the best - most stable and most customisable.

Both Minimserver and BubbleUPnP cost a £/$/€ but they are well worth it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.