Currently reading
Which backup to use?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
1. If I want to have automatic backups of 2 entire pc's to the DS918+, which app should I use?

2. If I want to have automatic backups from the DS918+ to a pc, which app should I use?
3. Backups of specific drives and folders on pc?
Thanks

for backup from the pc to nas, there are various options: I can recommend Acronis or Paragon.
From nas to pc: hyper backup. You might also consider using synology drive.

But please understand, Desktop PC backup is something used in the past. It is way better to use the NAS as centralised storage, that is how it should work. So remove all data from te pc's and just use the nas as main storage. I understand that this is not possible on a laptop or if you do video editing.

For the NAS backup, use hyper backup to backup to another NAS, cloud, USB or any other storage outside the nas.

Thank you for the reply. I didnt know you could use Acronis to backup pc to the NAS, do you have to install it on the NAS or just the pc? I am currently trying to backup my pc using active backup for business, is this not recommended?
Thanks

Acronis runs on PC. Active backup can be used as well, but in your post you mentionned the entire PC. I read that as a full backup including open windows files. That is something Active backup cannot do (as far as I know).
But again, I do not recommend data to be present on a desktop PC.

Acronis runs on PC. Active backup can be used as well, but in your post you mentionned the entire PC. I read that as a full backup including open windows files. That is something Active backup cannot do (as far as I know).
But again, I do not recommend data to be present on a desktop PC.
Active backup does, uses same windows snapshot technology as Acronis, I backup 8 PC's/Laptops at home all live running when the backup occurs, ive restored no problem either full system, windows partition or individual files. I used Acronis for 5+ years until I found Active Backup, find it much more reliable and has advantage of de-duplication, instant restore to VM's etc.

Active backup is about 75% complete on my 1 pc for backup but my pc keeps going to sleep. Does active backup not prevent sleep during backups? Also I havent tried the schedule but will it wake the pc? My windows home server will wake the PC and keep it awake during the backup.

Thanks

Ill give it a look and thanks, but if I had a choice id rather have it keep it awake until finished.

Thanks

there is an automatic watchdog at server side (AB4B NAS), for the finishing of failed/canceled backup task. Then when your NAS will connect your rebooted PC, it will start the backup task.
Use SEARCH feature in this forum for more information about Synology Active backup for business

Thanks. When I created the task for backing up my pc, I titled it "Basement PC Backup" which is set for schedule and the "retention" was set as "Apply the following methods" I but it also created a second task called "admin-Default" which appears to be set to backup the same pc except the retention was set to "Keep all versions". I created another task called "HTPC" for a different pc and once again it created a second task for that called "admin-Default" . Why is it automaticly creating the extra tasks?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.