Currently reading
Which IP address to use

NAS
DS213J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'm trying to clean up firewall settings. Rather than opening my whole subnet I want to use reserved IPs. No problem on my macbook pro. My local machines shows an IP address and the Linksys router software shows the exact same address. But my 2 Windows 10 machines have 2 IP addresses each. The local PCs ipconfig shows one address and the Linkys router software shows a completely different address. In one case the addresses are adjacent, in the other the addresses are over 100 digits apart. I would just assign static IPs instead of Reserving them, but I'd still have the same problem, local machine reporting a different IP address than the router. So which address is right to use in the firewall? Which is the "REAL" IP address.

Thanks,

Oh I figured it out. The PCs had both ethernet and wireless adapaters. So two lan adapters each. Thanks
-- post merged: --

Does the pc have wifi in addition to an Ethernet connection?
Yep, that was the problem

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.