Hi everyone,

Which Syno NAS you suggest me to buy for a company with following details
1. Number of computers: 15-22
2. Three HPE Servers
3. One Hikvision NVR
4. One gbit internet connection (Fiber)
5. Budget for NAS server up to $900
6. Syno NAS server can be rack or tower

Never used NAS server before, but we think we should get one.

Please give me suggest which version should we get.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I just ordered an Synology DiskStation DS920+
Well done

Can you please recommend 10TB (or 12TB) drive models?
It depends on your budget and needs. If you are going for pure home usage it would be one type, if you are looking to use it for more professional tasks, then some higher models might come in question.

Can you please recommend SSD models (Two 1TB) for cache?
Same as before. Generally, stick to the supported brands on their site. Also, look on the forum, there are some people who recently got some models, so you can read about their thoughts on it.

s RAID 1 good option for Two 10TB/12TB drives?
If you think you need it, use it. There is nothing wrong with raid1 as long as you know what it brings...
5. Budget for NAS server up to $900
DS1621+ (6bay)
DS1819+ (8bay) > better wait for the new 1821+ refresh (just launched in Taiwan so it should hit global soon)

Both models can be upgraded with 10G LAN
There re "desktop/tower/standalone" models

Rack models in that budget are less feature-packed than the DS models and if you want rack models with more bays and 10G options or at least the same specs as these DS models, you are looking at 1500€ or more.

Upvote 0
Or check in our Bartertown section:

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your help!

I just ordered an Synology DiskStation DS920+ :)

1.Can you please recommend 10TB (or 12TB) drive models?
2.Can you please recommend SSD models (Two 1TB) for cache?
3.Is RAID 1 good option for Two 10TB/12TB drives?
4.Drive 2.5" or 3.5" - Which dimension you think is better?

Regards

Upvote 0
I just ordered an Synology DiskStation DS920+
Well done

It depends on your budget and needs. If you are going for pure home usage it would be one type, if you are looking to use it for more professional tasks, then some higher models might come in question.

Can you please recommend SSD models (Two 1TB) for cache?
Same as before. Generally, stick to the supported brands on their site. Also, look on the forum, there are some people who recently got some models, so you can read about their thoughts on it.

s RAID 1 good option for Two 10TB/12TB drives?
If you think you need it, use it. There is nothing wrong with raid1 as long as you know what it brings to the table and whats it +/- are. Also, it depends on what you expect from that setup and your NAS in a long run.

Drive 2.5" or 3.5" - Which dimension you think is better?
This is again something that will be connected to the 1st and 2nd questions. What are your plans, expected data space, expected speed, budget, etc? Do you have some models in mind, if so which?

Upvote 0
Solution
Some manufacturers high capacity drives (>= 10TB) are Helium-filled. They tend to generate less heat and noise (live longer too, as I keep reading). However, you might need to research which models are (with all the constant changes).
I have 10TB WD Reds and to date I’m not sure which type are they. I keep telling myself “they’re not noisy, must be Helium” :)

Upvote 0
Hi,

We are planning to buy two drives (with RAID1).

WD Red Pro (KFBX), 3.5"- 10TB vs Seagate IronWolf PRO - 14TB

1.Which one you guys think is better?
2.How safe can data be with only two drives (RAID1)?
3.Do you have any suggest for SSD for cache?

If you think you need it, use it. There is nothing wrong with raid1 as long as you know what it brings to the table and whats it +/- are. Also, it depends on what you expect from that setup and your NAS in a long run.
Here is the list of thing we plan to use our NAS (for company):
1. Number of computers: 15-22 (backup data)
2. Three HPE Servers
3. One Hikvision NVR
4. Two Cloud VMware ESXi servers

Thanks verymuch for your help!

Upvote 0
Which one you guys think is better?
The one that will give you more warranty in this case.

How safe can data be with only two drives (RAID1)?
Considering that RAID is not backup, its not safe, just like any other RAID for that matter. Consider a proper backup that does not include that same device.

Do you have any suggest for SSD for cache?
Use the storage analyzer and SSD advisor. Depending on the size of the data and type, it could be beneficial to get it. You might want to look into Synolgy 3400 or 3500 nvme models as well.

1. Number of computers: 15-22 (backup data)
2. Three HPE Servers
3. One Hikvision NVR
4. Two Cloud VMware ESXi servers
If you are looking into using the nas as your VM source, SSD cache will be beneficial.

Upvote 1
Just placed order for two SNV3500 400gb SSD M.2.

Just wanted to ask one more question, is enough 2x SNV3500 400gb SSD for my NAS with RAID one with WD Red Pro (KFBX), 3.5"- 10TB disks?

Thanks alot mano!
It just depends on how much data will be cached. Even if you go over 480GB it will rotate out from cache eventually. So really you can answer that question by running cache analyzer and getting the answer

Upvote 0
Thank you @Rusty ;)

Last question,
I'm interested for UPS for our DS920+
What do you recommend to buy?

Thank you!
I have used EATON and CyberPower in the past (and atm) and both are working without any problems with Synology as a brand. Regarding power, just make sure that you have more than enough to last you the amount of time you think you will need it.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

Just received my 920+, i installed DSM, installed two WD read (10TB) everything seems to be ok.
Parity Consistency check is running.

I have receive two SSD Synology SNV3500, M.2, 400GB but i think we will use READ only cache, do you suggest install both M.2 SSD's or only one of them?

Thank you!

Upvote 0
do you suggest install both M.2 SSD's or only one of them?
If you will use just read you can use a single one and have the other one as spare outside the NAS. Still, you can put both in a RAID0 (read-only cache) in case a single 400GB module will not be enough regarding cache space.

Upvote 0
image00001.jpeg
image00002.jpeg

New m2 SSD won't fit for our Synology 920+...

Only solution is to replace right?

Upvote 0
Hey,

I have DS920+ with default 4gb ram, and i think to upgrade ram +16gb stick and nvm ssd

1. Can you please check if this version of ram is compatibile for my Nas Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666 SO-DIMM (Model nr: CT16G4SFRA266)
2. NVM SSD for cache SSD Crucial P5, M.2, 1TB (model nr CT1000P5SSD8)

Thank you :)

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.