Which Plex docker image do you use... and why

Currently reading
Which Plex docker image do you use... and why

Which do you prefer, and why (explain in comments)

• plexinc / pms-docker

• linuxserver/plex

• other docker image (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
NAS
DS4l8play, DS202j, DS3623xs+, DSM 7.3.3-25847
I plan to set up Plex on Docker to replace my direct install... both to simplify updates, and to "immunize" Plex against DSM updates.

Traditionally, I would source the docker image from the software creators... in this case, Plex.

Most guides and videos I've come across, seem to prefer Linuxserver.io as a source. Since many of my current docker containers are based on Linux server images, I'm comfortable using their releases.

Both images seem "equally" popular on Docker Hub.

I wanted to take a sounding from this community. Which do you prefer, and why. Thanks!

I used to use plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass, but sadly the official image for the plexpass tag was build last year and therefor includes many critical and high vulnerabilites that could have been closed by re-building the image. Plex Inc. does not seem to undersand the implication a self-update of only the core application has: they practialy deny patch management for the image most plexpass users use.... Because of that I switched to Linuxserver/plex:latest + watchtower updates.

Plex Inc and Linuxserver provide both images per PMS version, which are recent when it commes to patch management for the os level packages. As a bonus the linuxserver images allows to configure auto-update of PMS, which only the plex-pass tag does for the image from Plex Inc.

Currently I use plexinc / pms-docker:plexpass
Everything runs as expected, but I am also concerned about the fact the "plexpass" container gets no updates from plex apart from plex server itself.
So for getting security updates, I run apt update/apt upgrade inside container, then restart container for plex server update. It is not really how docker should be used, but at least it can be done quickly.

Migration complete. I chose linuxserver/plex. It was largely a toss-up. Set up docker-compose for debian server, as follows:
Code:
version: "2.1"
services:
  plex:
    image: lscr.io/linuxserver/plex:latest
    container_name: plex
    network_mode: host
    environment:
      - PUID=1000
      - PGID=1000
      - VERSION=docker
    devices:
      - /dev/dri:/dev/dri
    volumes:
      - /home/telos/docker/plex/config:/config
#     - /volume1/home/telos/docker/plex/config:/config # optional for Synology NAS
      - /media/nas_media:/media:ro
      - /media/nas_music:/music:ro
      - /media/plex_optimized:/transcode
    restart: unless-stopped

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.