DSM 7.1 Which shared folders should NOT use snapshots?

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 Which shared folders should NOT use snapshots?

NAS
DS1520+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Which shared folders should NOT use snapshots?
It seems to me that the ActiveBackupforBusiness shared folder should not have snapshots taken, since ABB already provides versioning of data and rollback to a point in time. Is there a scenario in which you would want to rollback to a snapshot of this shared folder? Does your scenario still apply if I am using Hyper Backup to backup this shared folder to an offsite Synology NAS (which I am).

I don't use Surveillance Station yet, but it also seems to me that there is little value in taking snapshots of surveillance video, even if I am not backing up this data. I guess the answer depends on how valuable the videos are to me (I would use it for home, not business). When I do use Surveillance Station someday, it's currently my intention to record video to a single Seagate Skyhawk drive without RAID and without backups. I assume that I will be able to make copies of clips that I identify as important, and to put them in a folder that will get backed up; but even then, does this folder need snapshots? I guess the more general question is "are snapshots useful on folders that only add and delete files, but never modify them?"

I run DSM 7.1.1 on a DS1520+ at my home and on a DS920+ at my son's home. Both systems have 3 Seagate Ironwolf drives using SHR1. The DS1520+ also has a 1 TB Ironwolf SSD for Synology packages, and someday for Plex metadata. Each NAS runs ABB to backup desktop computers (and soon, Linux servers) at the respective homes, and runs Hyper Backup and Hyper Backup Vault to backup the ActiveBackupforBusiness shared folder and Photos folders to the other NAS.

Thanks so much for your wisdom.

Which shared folders should NOT use snapshots?
Any files that you have backed up and have no need for a quick restore. Personally I use snapshots on folders that I want restored quickly without the need to use a classic backup, and those that have frequent changes as well as data that needs ransomware protection

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.