Which UPS is recommend for the DS1522+?

Currently reading
Which UPS is recommend for the DS1522+?

There are many good brands of UPS, do your research. Recommended length of time is how long you expect the NAS to maintain on battery power before it is gracefully shut down...

Last edited:
How do I know how long I should expect the NAS to maintain on battery? I have not used NAS before. Also, I have spent days to research on UPS before posting. There are also tones of products on the compatibility list. I have not used 1522+ nor UPS. I cannot decide which is the best product so I am here to consult with existing users. Your reply does not provide any useful information.

Last edited:
I have 2 x APC BE670M1 675VA 360 Watts 7 Outlets Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) with USB Charging Port hooked to my DS1821+ and DS1621+. They give about 18 -20 minutes battery time.

All you need is enough time for the NAS to properly go into Stand-by mode (properly shutdown file operations and flush the cache). The NAS is hooked up to the UPS via a USB cable detects when Stand-by mode is required. You also need a UPS powerful enough to handle the Amps/Watts the device uses. Check the NAS Product Specifications for power consumption info. DS1522+ info below.

23050107.png

A UPS is not meant to run the NAS during an extended power failure. They are good for protecting data - keeping the NAS powered during those momentary power glitches - in Florida - we have lots of those.

23050105.png

Attachments

• 23050105.png
    23050105.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hi, which UPS is recommended for the DS1522+? What is the recommended length of time for the UPS to keep the NAS running after power lost?
Highest consumer UPS you can get locally is 1500VA=900watts, though smaller units are available.
Time it can work on failure depends on the load you present and condition of batteries. If batteries are weak, running time will suffer, and can shut down altogether.
As things go, I’m lucky: we designed house with whole house generator in mind, so I don’t bother with connections between computer and UPS… In 30 seconds I’m on generator. That’s all I need!

Back on batteries, my 1500VA UPS shipped with 2x12V7A batts. Replacements I purchased are 12V9A, and UPS manufacturer recommends these, for the 28% improvement, as they’ll last longer.

Due to decreasing battery use over time, I’d get a 1500VA unit and know you’ve got overkill and the best you could — up front.
I know you were not asking, but look into a UPS with AVR, as it helps with surges & brownouts, too!

1500VA should be ample plenty. I have 1350VA, and it offers nearly an hour of backup supporting 2 NAS, 2 PCs, a switch, modem, router, and display screen. Typically, I trigger the NAS shutdown after 10 minutes have elapsed.

Last edited:
Absolutely! (Ex TV Network Engr., doing component level repair).
Used to have this saying posted at work:
“Never randomly pull AC power on anything you can’t fix to the component level in less than 10 minutes”

total up cost of gear you want to protect, and expense of re-configuring it to your standards. Might not be so $$ after all

Last edited:
If you are only using the UPS for the 1522+ you do not need to spend $300 for a UPS. A UPS half the size of the ones I have (675 VA - 360 Watts) is more than enough to power the 1522+ through minor power glitches and shut down properly if the power outage is longer.

You can get a 425VA/240W battery backup power supply for $50 on Amazon. The DS1522+ only uses a max of around 60 Watts and can be connected via USB to the 1522 to determine when to entering Standby mode without data loss.

Edit - even less expensive smart UPS - LINK --->UPS Battery Backup (SK425) $50

As I stated above: A UPS is not meant to run the NAS during an extended power failure, rather to power down (Standby mode) the NAS safely.

Yes, you could power your computer and other items with an expensive model UPS - purchase a separate UPS for your computer and other items. A separate UPS hooked to the NAS would be able to control when to safely shutdown the NAS safely.

I live in Florida - lots of power glitches - my NASs have never shutdown improperly because of power failures. I have a separate UPS for my computer(s) and 2 UPSs - one for my 1821+ w/DX517 and one for my 1621+ & 1520+. I also have a UPS for my network switches and router.

By the way, one caution - never hook your printer to a UPS. Printer Wattage can spike to very high levels and blow out a UPS - also no need to keep the printer running during a power failure. Just restart the print job where it stopped.

If you are only using the UPS for the 1522+ you do not need to spend $300 for a UPS
Agree. If the power isn't restored in 5-10 minutes, then it's likely to be down for hours, in which case, NAS usage shouldn't be a huge concern. I keep my modem/router alive, primarily for phones/tablets/laptops... but streaming Plex isn't a thing when the power goes down.

If you are only using the UPS for the 1522+ you do not need to spend $300 for a UPS. A UPS half the size of the ones I have (675 VA - 360 Watts) is more than enough to power the 1522+ through minor power glitches and shut down properly if the power outage is longer.
Agreed and another data point: I use a 700VA UPS to power an HP microserver NAS, a 24port switch and a mikrotik router, and it estimates a run time of 35-40mins in the event of a power failure.

I shut the server down after 4mins of battery. If the mains is out for that long, it's a serious issue and is unlikely to be coming back for a few hours. As @noblemd says, the UPS is really there to smooth over brief outtages and shut things down gracefully if its anything longer than that.

Im using on a DS1515+ a :-

Cyberpower BR1000ELCD-UK BRICs Series, 1000VA/600W, 6 UK Outlets (3 Surge only, 3 UPS and Surge), 1 USB Charging Port, AVR, Brick Format

purchased this item on 27 Mar 2023 all seems working fine

Last edited:
For those of you with 2x 12V batteries in your UPS: If a failure of a cell happens in one battery, depending on which cell it is... Can cause the UPS to shut down automatically... Even with AC Power applied.... I have seen this...
Usually, this only occurs after batteries weaken somewhat. Manufactures give testing software away. Testing via a serial or USB connection every couple months will give you advance notice of batteries weakening... Do not forget to do testing.... That verifies the unit, as well as batteries... Now, if testing reveals a weakened battery issue.... There is your "Emergency".

I have multiple units.... (6 at present, some in use since 2015). Agreed, some locations do not need 1500VA... But went with 1500VA units everywhere, so I can swap any unit to any location.... in case of emergency...

Power here in the mountains is not what it was in Chicagoland... Glitchy, Noisy, and random drops... Whole house Generator and Surge is only part of the solution under these conditions.....

Having gone through all the major brands I have settled on Eaton for smaller UPS. The cheaper-built ones tended to kill themselves with batteries being un-replaceable once they have swelled with age.

When you get to larger capacity the likes of APC, Cyberpower etc are as good as any but lower down the stack Eaton just nails it and the quality reflects the rest of their range.

☕

If the NAS is doing something which takes many hours to complete and if there is a power outage in the middle of the job, can I terminate the job and then shut it down?

If the NAS is doing something which takes many hours to complete and if there is a power outage in the middle of the job, can I terminate the job and then shut it down?
yes and maybe even have time to finish it off before you do

The signal that the NAS is operating on batteries with no reliable AC available is taken as an instruction to clear critical functions, avoid write holes and empty the cache, with the final task of un-mounting the volumes ahead of the final power-down. The NAS programming is there so it is not vulnerable to an overly optimistic battery status; it does not carry-on as normal.* Indeed, some tasks may not start when running on battery.

[* Yes I am aware of additional functionality in some more advanced UPS that have a little more flexibility in this regard, but not really relevant here and would add confusion.]

☕

For sure, I will plug the 1522+ NAS and a high-end workstation PC with i9-9900K and Nvidia RTX 2080 GPU to the UPS. Is it advisable to also plug the TL-SX1008 8-port 10G switch and a Deco mesh wifi system to the UPS as well? Will APC BR1000MS be sufficient? Is it better to go for BR1350MS or BR1500MS2?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.