Whole volume snapshots ?

Currently reading
Whole volume snapshots ?

NAS
DS920+
Aside from my Synology DS920+, I also have a QNAP NAS. Recently, QNAP released an update of its Virtualization Station that cause wide spread havoc. ( The app became "disconnected" from its VM's and there was no way to "reconnect" them. It was if they had all gone up in smoke. In actuality, the VM files were still intact and right where they used to be.) I was included in that havoc but it has been fixed now. One QNAP owner posted on a forum that because he had a snapshot of his volume, he was able to restore his system to a prior state. When I look at my Synology snapshots, I only see the ability to take snapshots of shared folders and a couple of system folders. But no ability to take snapshots of apps and their related settings. So, is this not possible on Synology ? Is there a way to protect a Synology NAS from the issue that occurred with some of these QNAP's ?

Is there a way to protect a Synology NAS from the issue that occurred with some of these QNAP's ?
There are several ways to protect your VMs inside VMM (QNAPs Virtual Station alternative on Synology side).

First you can use the "Protection" tab inside VMM to that will allow you to create snapshots of particular vms. Bare in mind these are snaps not backup. Also by default, protection will be done locally on the same nas, as remote replication of snaps is a VMM PRO feature that requires a licence.

1699859660802.png

For a fast recovery in similar situations this will do more then enough.

Another way would be to use Active Backup for Business package (or Hyper Backup), and configure them to backup the whole NAS. In this particular case, all data is being backed up, not just the a particular VM, so it might be an overkill. ABB works faster (much faster) then HB in this "entire system" backup scenario, but atm, those are the options.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.