NAS Hosted Whoogle – The Self-Hosted Google Alternative

Currently reading
NAS Hosted Whoogle – The Self-Hosted Google Alternative

So you love the ease of use and results of Google search but hate everything else that comes with it? Well, I’ve got a solution for you!

Easily install Whoogle on your Synology NAS or even FreeNAS or Unraid. Whoogle can be installed anywhere you want with Docker! It looks and works great on mobile devices too!

Change from light to dark mode with a click of a button.

Get Google search results, but without any ads, javascript, AMP links, cookies, or IP address tracking. Easily deployable in one click as a Docker app, and customizable with a single config file. Quick and simple to implement as a primary search engine replacement on both desktop and mobile.

Continue reading...

NAS
DS418play, DS213j, DS3621+, DSM 7.0.4-11091
How do you find these things? This looks incredibly interesting, though I'd probably need to create an encrypted share to keep my meanderings under lock and key, hahaha.

fredbert

NAS Support
Subscriber
NAS
DS1520+, DS218+, DS215j
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Looks interesting. Spun up the 'benbusby/whoogle-search' image and just changed port from auto/5000 to 8888/5000.

Configuration from the search home page is light: tried dark mode and switched back, then change the root URL to 'something more useful:8888'.

I notice that some of the search specifics revert back to google.com links (video on the shopping tab for instance). But still a very intriguing project.

Think I'll leave this as a private service on the NAS for now, and then maybe open it up but add user authentication to access it. Could be a candidate for VPN Plus' WebVPN 'reverse proxy'.

@Geeked have a few 🍪🍪 for the tip.

Oh, just watched yr video ... I selected the same image.

Geeked

NAS Hosted
Subscriber
nashosted.com
NAS
DS918+, DS218+(2), RS820+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
How do you find these things? This looks incredibly interesting, though I'd probably need to create an encrypted share to keep my meanderings under lock and key, hahaha.
Mostly on Reddit :D

Shadow

Subscriber
NAS
DS216+II, DS118, DS718+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
So when you search for something with this docker, does this docker in the background query google? Or does it has it's own indexer running to search for itself?

NAS
DS412+
this sounds very interesting (in fact, I was always think about using NAS to build my own Internet world :).
But just a trivial questions:
- Does it need to setup a new Docker?
- Does it index or how does it cache the results ( locally for myself?), w.r.t. storage space.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads