Why aren't all my photos showing up in Moments?

Currently reading
Why aren't all my photos showing up in Moments?

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I just got done with a massive photo transfer of 30k+ photos. They are now all sorted into folder by year, and are located in the photos/moments folder on my NAS. Most of the photos appear to be showing up in Moments, but for some reason, photos in folders 2010-2013 are not coming through well. For example, Moments is showing 225 files in the 2013 folder, while I actually have 3,640. I assume it is a permissions issue of some sort, but I cannot figure it out.

Hello Newbie,

Could be permissions, you're right. Could also be that the metadata on the file does not match the actual date. So please check both.
First follow the Synology guideline:

1. Right click the Moments folder > Properties;
2. Set owner to admin and tick "Apply to this folders, sub-folders and files";
3. Click "OK".
4. Go again into properties of the folder but this time select the "Permission" tab. Tick "Apply to this folders, sub-folders and files" and click "OK".

After that check if your photos are there.
If still not, please look into the metadata of the files. If you are using windows, download the photo to your local computer, go to properties and check the tab "Details":

1.JPG

The way Moments works is that it will sort your photos through metadata tags. First it will look into EXIF metadata e see if there is any information regarding the camera and when the photo was taken. If it fails to acquire that information it will read into the file metadata and check when the file itself was created and sort it that way.
You can change the metadata of the file in windows but there is software that allows you to do that in bulk, even to include GPS tags on your photos which is really cool.

Hello Newbie,

Could be permissions, you're right. Could also be that the metadata on the file does not match the actual date. So please check both.
First follow the Synology guideline:

1. Right click the Moments folder > Properties;
2. Set owner to admin and tick "Apply to this folders, sub-folders and files";
3. Click "OK".
4. Go again into properties of the folder but this time select the "Permission" tab. Tick "Apply to this folders, sub-folders and files" and click "OK".

After that check if your photos are there.
If still not, please look into the metadata of the files. If you are using windows, download the photo to your local computer, go to properties and check the tab "Details":

View attachment 2755

The way Moments works is that it will sort your photos through metadata tags. First it will look into EXIF metadata e see if there is any information regarding the camera and when the photo was taken. If it fails to acquire that information it will read into the file metadata and check when the file itself was created and sort it that way.
You can change the metadata of the file in windows but there is software that allows you to do that in bulk, even to include GPS tags on your photos which is really cool.
Do I want the owner to be Admin when I has disabled the default Admin user access? I had set the owner of the photo folder to be the personal admin username that I created.

The only items currently showing up in that folder are .MTS movie files, and the audio isn't working. I don't believe it is directly related to file type, but that is what is showing up right now. I checked one of the pics that isn't showing up, and it has a Date Taken. All the files in the folders were sorted by PhotoMove software that uses exif data to sort the pics by date. If the software couldn't detect exif date data, it filed it into a separate folder that is not linked to Moments so that I can review it later, so all the files that are in my photo/moments folder should have valid exif data, or the PhotoMove software would not have transferred them into the folder.
1610032137812.png

Do I want the owner to be Admin when I has disabled the default Admin user access? I had set the owner of the photo folder to be the personal admin username that I created.
If it is part of the administrators group, I don't think it's a problem.

On the Moments web interface, on your library, there is a drop-down box to search for folders.

1.JPG

When you open the 2013 folders, do you only see the videos? Or also the pictures?

only the videos. if I scroll through the regular timeline I also only see videos. It seems like my newer photos pulled mostly pulled in, and I have some older ones, but for some reason there's a gap in time there where it doesn't want to read them.

Two things you can do to troubleshoot:

1. Move the folders outside of the '/drive' directory, wait for indexing to finish, move them in again. (Check for indexing processes if they are running via the task manager to check if they are running or not);
2. Go to the Moments app, bottom-left corner of the screen, settings > re-index all. (Again check for indexing processes running on the task manager or via SSH).

Lastly, if you still have a problem. I would look into the permissions - Try to set admin, the real admin. If it still doesn't work, look at the permissions via SSH to ready the ACL lists from your folders to make sure they are all correct.

Could be a permissions issue, as mentioned, or that indexing is overlooking them. I've had Video Station omit items and the only way I could get it to re-index successfully was to delete the file and upload a fresh version from my Mac. Maybe moving to a non-indexed folder and then moving back would have worked too.

Also check that filenames are consistent with allowed characters on the file system. I used to use an external HFS+ USB disk for VS and then changed it to ext4. I found then that some video filenames had '?' in them and these would be skipped, it resulted in renaming a small group of files and then it worked.

95% of the photos in the 2013 folder should have been new imports from non-indexed folders. The videos I can see are new imports. File names should all be good.

To a certain extent, I'm starting to wonder if some of my problems aren't tied to when I had installed Photo Station to test it out a while back. I did a dumb thing: Photo Station fighting w/ Moments

I have 2 users: newbie & newbieAdmin. the folder and all subfolders are owned by newbieAdmin. I have double-triple-checked the permissions both from the folder side in File Station, and from the user side via DSM/Control Panel/Users, and both newbie & newbieAdmin have the same user priviledges for the photo folder and all the way through as far as I can tell.

The odd part is that from file station, I cannot see any of the folders underneath photos with my newbie user. I can see the share album that references the pics in /photos with newbie just like I can with newbieAdmin, but File Station does not act the same. If I go through Control Panel/Shared Folder/Photo/Edit and uncheck the "Hide Subfolders and files from users without permissions", then I can see the subfolders in /photo with newbie even though I actually open them. This leads me to believe that even though I have newbie enabled as a read/write user both in the user and in the folder settings, there is still another permission elsewhere that I cannot find. This unknown permission must be what is blocking newbie from seeing the folders when the "hid subfolders" box is checked.

In the previous thread, it was mentioned that photo station had its own user permissions. I don't currently have photo station installed, but before I uninstalled it, I'm 99% certain that I went through and checked the permissions and granted both newbie & newbieAdmin the same privileges.

This has morphed into more than just a moments discussion, but its a problem that I've had for quite a while now.

Pulling the photos out via file station and dumping them right back in did the trick. I'm wondering if perhaps the computer-based photomove software I used was logged in with my newbie non-admin user and somehow was able to move the photos to the folders but then they are getting hidden because moments thinks they don't have permission to be displayed? I dunno. I'd still like to get the photo permissions issue fixed somehow though.

Pulling the photos out via file station and dumping them right back in did the trick.
Whoa! That stab-in-the-dark worked?

I use CCC 5 on Mac to keep my media files synchronised between Mac and NAS (AS/VS/Plex). It's scheduled to run a batch of tasks but I occasionally do a manual run if I've been working on a lot on new files and want them available 'now'. This manual run, usually doing a few quickly, when I've noticed a file or files not being indexed when others earlier and later in the sync are available.

The folders within my 'multimedia' shared folder that I place this media have been assigned, by me, read-write access to my standard user account. The problem for you is that /photo is a special case as PS/Moments must use this and the permission are particularly managed. For me this shared folder and /photo/Moments are owned by root and accessible to Administrator group whereas all folders within Moments are owned by SynologyMoments user/group.

It would seem that the intention is to only access this shared folder using web portals and applications. But you could try adding your user or a group to the /photo permissions, since all the folders underneath look to have rwxrwxrwx at the Unix level.
1610188732799.png

Just got off a call with syno support. I was trying to resolve my folder access issue that was discussed in this thread in the hopes that fixing that issue would somehow fix this moments issue: did a dumb thing: Photo Station fighting w/ Moments.

The support guy was stumped for quite a while. It appeared that all my groups and users should have been set up correctly to allow my user to access the /photo folder, but I could not. The solution was to temporily re-install photo station. As mentioned, Photo Station takes over permission control for /photo when installed. I had gone through and granted users permission (I thought) before un-installing Photo Station, but the support guy found that many of the users were set to "browse" and not "manage" in the permissions. Setting the users to "manage" allowed me to see the folder in File station like I wanted to. We then re-un-installed Photo Station, and the permissions held this time. So, half my problem is solved.

The photos are still not appearing in Moments though. I'm going to let it finish indexing and see if any pop up at the end and then go from there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.