Solved Why do my mapped network drives keep disconnecting?

Currently reading
Solved Why do my mapped network drives keep disconnecting?

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I've mapped several shared folders to different drives on my computer for easy access. However, the mapping rarely works after I reboot the computer. I've gotten a multitude of different error messages, with the latest being the one shown below. Once I get the error, I have to disconnect the drives and remap them. Disconnecting them does not always remove them from File Explorer; I'll have to reboot the computer again in order for the broken link to disappear. When I try to remap the drives that are now gone from Explorer, I'll frequently get messages saying I can't map a certain drive because that name already exist. If I persist in trying to map the drive several times, the message eventually goes away and I'm successful in getting the drive mapped. I tried setting my network interface to manual as suggested in this thread, but it didn't help. Any suggestions?

this issue has actually been around since Windows 8 and is caused by Group Policy drives which are set to "Recreate". Windows 8/10 automatically runs Group Policy updates in the background and disconnects/reconnects the drive to Recreate it.

Change the drive to "Update" in group policy and the issue will disappear!

I have a caldigit thunderbolt dock that doesn't have any storage attached to it, other than that I have a usb mouse, a usb bluetooth dongle for my keyboard, and another bluetooth dongle for a different brand bluetooth mouse I use when traveling. No other external storage attached to either the NAS or the pc at this point. Why do you ask?

I have a caldigit thunderbolt dock that doesn't have any storage attached to it, other than that I have a usb mouse, a usb bluetooth dongle for my keyboard, and another bluetooth dongle for a different brand bluetooth mouse I use when traveling. No other external storage attached to either the NAS or the pc at this point. Why do you ask?

One of my computers at work has an issue where the mapped network drives become disconnected and won’t reconnect, unless you unplug one of the usb devices. The usb device that is plugged in is for sd memory cards, it has a few slots in it. It’s weird, once we unplug that device the mapped network drive works again. It’s the exact same error message that local device name is in use.

Unplug that thunderbolt dock for some time and test this theory out.

I never did get RSAT to work. I ended up checking both the checkboxes in the screenshot below. I had done the reconnect before without it making any difference, but I had not done the "connect using different credentials" because I thought it was going to ask me to enter my credentials each time. I now realize that it is more asking if the login credentials for the drives are different that the login credentials for my pc (I think). Either way, checking that box and filling in my nas login credentials has solved my problem for now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.