Solved Why does this reverse proxy fail

Currently reading
Solved Why does this reverse proxy fail

NAS
DS4l8play, DS202j, DS3623xs+, DSM 7.3.3-25847
I set up this reverse proxy for the DS File app (Android)... but it fails to connect.

ozPE8y0.png

When I enter "hot.synology.me:5001" in the DS File app, it connects. But if I enter "ds.hot.synology.me" using this reverse proxy, it fails. FWIW, ports 443 and 5001 are forwarded to the NAS (192.168.1.10). I've dropped the firewall without effect. I have the HTTPS box in DS File checked.

What am I missing?

Well strangely enough according to this article DS File uses port 5005 (HTTP) and/or 5006 (HTTPS) as default? So as @WST16 rightfully pointed out, entering "ds.hot.synology.me" in the app will not hit the reverse proxy at port 443..

Now that we are talking about it, I do sure hope Synology changes this one day and make every mobile app use port 80/443 as default or something:

1601115979520.png

The only reason I have port 5001 open on my router is for the Synology Drive app on Android... But when using a computer the Drive application is browsable just fine by just entering: https://drive.mydomain.com .

If you try (your example), ds.hot.synology.me:443 it should work.
using DSFile will work just fine via reverse as long as you type in the 443 port at the end as @WST16 said.
You are correct, but as @WST16 said...
But I know that’s not what you‘re looking for :)
as the point was to avoid port entry. So in my example, using "ds.hot.synology.me:443" is the same as using "hot.synology.me:443" as I have "hot.synology.me" reverse proxied to my DSM login page.
I do sure hope Synology changes this one day and make every mobile app use port 80/443 as default or something
We can only dream. Maybe by DSM 8 :cool:

Thanks for the good feedback!

Some of the mobile apps for the older packages (e.g. File/Audio/Video Station) require the 'Diskstation' link to have the ':port' included.

If you have used Application Portal to define a specific domain 'file.mydomain.com' then you must still add :433.

I think it is a hardcoded condition within these mobile apps, since new package mobile apps no longer need this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.