Why doesn't my video stream work when running Surveillance Station through a reverse proxy?

Currently reading
Why doesn't my video stream work when running Surveillance Station through a reverse proxy?

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have a reverse proxy set up so I can access my surveillance cameras via surveillance station. If I access SS through direct, local IP address, everything work and the video streams without issue. However, if I try accessing via my RP with a browser outside of my network, I can successfully log into SS, I can make edits to the camera, including testing the connection (comes back saying connection was established), but when I try to stream the video, I just get a gray screen. There isn't any buffering or anything, there is just zero video stream. Am I missing a setting in my RP? TIA.

Kind of a weird use-case admittedly: I'm experimenting with Heimdall to access my apps. In order to make it accessible outside of my net, I need to use the RP. Also, for whatever reason the SS desktop app is a huge resource hog on my laptop. If SS desktop is running, I can guarantee that my cooling fan is running. However, if I run it in the browser, it doesn't consume nearly the resources for whatever reason. So, on my laptop I avoid SS desktop. Between the desktop problem and using heimdall to access the apps, I've painted myself into a corner where the easiest way to get to SS is via RP. I could easily add a local-IP link for local use I suppose, but I didn't want to have too many links, especially since I'm hoping to get my wife set up with Heimdall for her access.

Upvote 0
I have a reverse proxy set up so I can access my surveillance cameras via surveillance station. If I access SS through direct, local IP address, everything work and the video streams without issue. However, if I try accessing via my RP with a browser outside of my network, I can successfully log into SS, I can make edits to the camera, including testing the connection (comes back saying connection was established), but when I try to stream the video, I just get a gray screen. There isn't any buffering or anything, there is just zero video stream. Am I missing a setting in my RP? TIA.
In most cases it is the stream feed port that needs to be allowed. If you are accessing it outside your LAN then the port number that you have in the configuration of your camera (usually 8000 or something like that) is the configuration port, but the actual stream is coming in on a separate (usually UDP) port.

Most cameras use Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) on UDP 554 port. Make sure what ports and protocols your camera uses and be sure that you have port forward sorted for it, then see if the feed will pop out.

I have several remote cameras that feed over the internet and that can and will work, but double-check port forward and/or firewalls.

Upvote 0
I believe @NAS Newbie wants to squeeze everything via 443 if I understood correctly :)
I hear that. But getting to SS web ui via RP (443) is one thing, but that will not work without the camera feed coming in on its own port and protocol.

Upvote 0
When using the DS cam app on my phone, I can access the camera via the reverse proxy, although the initial buffering takes forever. It was much faster when I was using a port forwarded directly to the camera. That being said, why does the video work for the app and not the browser link?

Also, I believe I was able to access the camera via browser before when I was using port-forwarding (not 443, I initially had unique ports forwarded for every app I wanted to access) directly to SS instead of the RP, although I don't have time to test that right now. Why would the camera have streamed with port-forwarding to SS but not reverse proxy? I know I didn't open up any separate ports with the port-forwarding setup for the camera feed.

Upvote 0
I've never dived deep into the live view through web browser (mostly using DS Cam on iPad). Being on a Mac and iOS, I'm always challenged by the use of plugins that facilitate streaming (and I’m not good with codecs and streaming in general).

Your best bet is to raise a ticket with Synology and ask these questions. We might learn something.

On the other hand, for the SS Client, did you try enabling GPU acceleration (if possible)?
Of course, the higher the resolution of the stream, the more demanding . I usually use the low resolution stream (640X480) when on mobile if I want to take a peek.

Upvote 0
When using the DS cam app on my phone, I can access the camera via the reverse proxy, although the initial buffering takes forever. It was much faster when I was using a port forwarded directly to the camera. That being said, why does the video work for the app and not the browser link?

Also, I believe I was able to access the camera via browser before when I was using port-forwarding (not 443, I initially had unique ports forwarded for every app I wanted to access) directly to SS instead of the RP, although I don't have time to test that right now. Why would the camera have streamed with port-forwarding to SS but not reverse proxy? I know I didn't open up any separate ports with the port-forwarding setup for the camera feed.
Hmm guess its not the port problem then.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.