DS 718+, 2x-DS 720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Though only 2 of them are used regularly.... Here is an in-depth look at the systems here still running W7... (Others are running 10 Professional)

The one that is used the least... Cannot upgrade past W7 because... It is a remote camera capture device... Starting out life as Vista 32, after a CPU Upgrade from Core 2 1.56Ghz to 2.4 Ghz, Ram upgrade from 4Gb to 6Gb (Imbeded Intel display prevents 8Gb).... and 4800 rpm boot to SSD with a Momentus XT second drive as Media recording... It is using via PCMCIA slot to connect to an external Camera Capture system to record SD or HD from broadcast devices in the field... It's the camera capture system that can't upgrade from W7... Not used often any more, but is so hot-rodded so much that I don't want to get rid of it...

Second Laptop has 2.6Ghz i7 Processor... been upgraded with ram and SSD's (2x), and BR R/W Drive. Runs $$$ Software and $$ Plugins that cannot upgrade from W7, used for Video Editing and DVD/BR Authoring in the field.... many patches to optimize system as configured, as well as a patch to allow unused (Embedded) Nvidia Display processors to assist in number crunching.... Therefore the cooling system has been heavily modified.... It's also my daily system....

Third is a Dual Quad Xeon redundant power supply Supermicro Server.... Configured as main Video Editing and DVD/BR Authoring.. $$$$ Camera Capture Hardware, and Software & Plugins tied to W7... Many tweaks, and NVida Quadro display patched to allow unused Display Processors for number crunching (and Hack to increase Quadro fan speed to 100%)... Supermicro Bios and their 4 pin fan changes (5x) for variable speed cooling, many patches to optimise system as configured, Boots from external 320Mc SCSI to reduce heat, Media on 6 hot-swap SATA array, both controllers embedded in SM motherboard... (SCSI Boot So that Windows housekeeping does not slow media transfer.).. Supermicro not supposed to run W7, but I didn't tell it that..... and so it runs W7 happily with older Supermicro motherboard & Chipset drivers... All These limitations prevent upgrade from W7...

The NAS's here are for (Redundant) long term storage of completed projects..... All protected by 2600 Router...

So.... The first laptop is hardly ever connected to the network (Pretty much everything here static IP)..
The Supermicro is connected to network... at least for access to NAS"s, but each cannot upgrade past W7 for multiple reasons....

The Laptop with i7 is a daily user.... I guess I could spend $$ for a new system... Might.... but until then....

Each W7 running MSE and Spybot S&D... The 2600 running TP on Ext USB3 SSD with Write Caching...

With each system at a point where Each is FULLY OPERATIONAL, BUT: they cannot Upgrade.... I'm open to suggestions on how security could be improved over what I've done....

Ever considered running SW tied to W7 inside a W7 VM on a W11 host?
This should be more secure using NAT networking for the VM or not connecting the VM to the Network when possible.

Last edited:
No, haven’t, but Supermicro wasn’t supposed to run W7, & Capture hardware has no 8 drivers, so how is that supposed to run 10 to then act like 7?
DVD disk only load release software — not ‘patches’ of which there are many, which can no longer be downloaded… (I’m not certain a license reload would work due to patch download no longer available) plug-ins load internal to edit patched code needs plugin remote blessing to run…
At present, my only way of reloading complete software, with patches, plugins, and tweaks to code….. is only available to me as a disc image, which does work. I’ve tested to be certain it works.
So, No… layers of updates, plugins, licensing, and tweaks make this fairly impossible to load new.

Now the Edit software is still available, if purchased again, but not the DVD/BR Authoring software.. That no longer exists. Some Plugins are still made, some not. Camera capture hardware would have to be re-purchased..

What’s that old saying:?? “If it’s not Broke….”

Last edited:
Oh! No! I’ve 2x disk images of all two main systems! But I’ve Tested all 3! (On SM Server: I have gone so far as to have a 2nd 15K SCSI backup drive loaded and ready, & 2x 10k loaded disks in case I can’t dig up a 15K drive (I’m not paranoid!) 15k SCSI 320Mc have shorter life I’ve seen…
On the 2 edit/authoring systems a different amount of patches are done. Laptop has 16GB RAM, SM system 24G. NVidia is different too, so tweaks on the two are different due to NVidia memory & available Cuda processors. That plus folks have shared an edit tweak in one System file that’s different on the two. So, No! I have multiple redundant backups!

The old Core2… only one backup. It’s Software DVD only has the Capture and Codec creation files, no patches… So the one system I could reload from the release DVD’s is the one I least care about!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.