Why is my volume increasing even though I'm deleting files?

Currently reading
Why is my volume increasing even though I'm deleting files?

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
So I'm pulling a bunch of photos off of old computers onto my NAS. I first pull them into a generic folder on volume 2 with all of the same folder structure as what they had from the computer I copied them from. I then use PhotoMove software to pull them out of the old, messed up folder hierarchy and place them into new, organized folders in the Photo->Moments directory. Part of the photo move software will compare the photos I'm moving to photos that are alreadyin the destination folder for deduplication purposes. Any duplicates are sent to a separate folder for me to delete later. I'm getting close to maxing out my current hard drive capacity, but I know that I have tons of duplicates. When I delete the duplicates, I also check to make sure that I am emptying the Recycle bin. However, ever time I do a move, my overall system volume has been increasing, despite actually deleting thousands of photos. I'm probably not explaining it the best, but I can't figure out where my storage capacity is going.

My backups are not on the same volume as the photos, so I don't believe that is my issue.

I believe I might have found part of my problem. There is a Recycle folder in my original folder that I have been emptying via File Station in DSM. This folder shows as being empty in File Station. However, if I open Drive, there is another Recycle folder, and that one was jammed full of pics. I don't know if the Drive Recycle and the File Station Recycle are the same (they should be, I'm going working out of my user's Home folder), but once I emptied the Recycle folder via Drive, then my used capacity finally dropped. It's like Drive was showing more files than File Station.

Upvote 0
Drive is totally different environment from the Filestation, then you have independent Recycle bin for the Drive operation. You need manage both.

41AD366D-937D-406D-89AB-195CD329EE0F.jpeg

Upvote 0
Drive is totally different environment from the Filestation, then you have independent Recycle bin for the Drive operation. You need manage both.

View attachment 2737
Yeah, that's what I discovered. Seems odd that they don't use the same recycle bin.

Is there another hidden bin for the photos/Moments folder somewhere? Moments somewhere? I haven't found one there.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.