Why must I restart my Portainer Stack... instead of restarting the container?

Currently reading
Why must I restart my Portainer Stack... instead of restarting the container?

NAS
DS4l8play, DS202j, DS3623xs+, DSM 7.3.3-25847
My jdownloader container lost its connection after I updated Gluetun, which jdownloader is dependent upon network access. I get that.

I figured that restarting the jdownloader container would reconnect it to the updated Gluetun container. But that did not happen and the connection errored out. Recreate container also failed.

To get jdownloader working, I had to stop and start the jdownloader stack. Since that stack is a simple docker-compose file, I figured it was like a container restart. Obviously not.

What is the difference here?

I don't really have an answer, but I'm curious how you managed it in the first place.
Coincidentally, I also looked into this a few days ago, I couldn't get it to work with

--net=container:gluetun \

Finally chose to have the traffic flow through the proxy from Gluetun.

Works well.

Last edited:
Ok, i did the same. Doesnt work for me either.

But setting up the proxy and then use that in the config for JD works for me.

Thanks.

[edit] port 5800 is needed for the GUI on the local network, maybe you should uncomment that one.
Asuming you use gluetun for external traffic only.

[edit] port 5800 is needed for the GUI on the local network, maybe you should uncomment that one.
Not possible without breaking gluetun connection

iOe4LF5.png

BTW... this system works!

Well, actually i am not sure you need to set the used port in gleutun. You just bind the container.

Anyway, i think others might be better with helping you in this case. Maybe try the proxy ?

Anyway, i think others might be better with helping you
I think you have misunderstood this thread. My question has to do with restarting a stack versus restarting a container.

My use of glutetun works without any difficulty, and there is no need for a proxy. I published my docker compose file thinking that it might help your circumstance.

Out of curiosity I made the port changes that you referred to, and got the error that I posted up thread.

Thank you for your interest.

Last thing then :) (maybe i can learn something). Why would you need to open the GUI port on the gleutun container. While that port is only for your local network. When i need a port open for gleutun (like for Qbitt), i set that in the webportal at my vpn service provider - and forward the port on the external server. Gluetun doesnt need that port open, and ofcourse if you do it will conflict since you need it also for the local interface.

I'll leave you there, hopefully someone else more experienced can help you out.

Gluetun doesnt need that port open, and ofcourse if you do it will conflict since you need it also for the local interface.
You are mistaken. As I stated, to satisfy your musing, I removed the port from Gluetun and applied it to jdownloader, and errored out (again, see the error message above). Never was the port in both compose files.

Me thinks you confuse gluetun mapping with proxy mapping.

Here... from Gluetun itself...
You can access ports of containers connected to gluetun by port mapping ports on the gluetun container.
And now this thread is completely off-topic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.