DSM 7.1 Why VideoStation not playing .MKV files

NAS
DS923+, DS418
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Would like to ask, why Synology VideoStation won't play .MKV media files?

Any special CODEC required? While working normal on VLC engine.

Appreciate your help.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 165
Solution
Would like to ask, why Synology VideoStation won't play .MKV media files?

Any special CODEC required? While working normal on VLC engine.

Appreciate your help.
With this wrapper you will play DTS, EAC3 and TrueHD codec audios in Video Station and Media Server (DLNA).

Best regards.
-- post merged: --

I want to use VideoStation aswell but there are too many limitations. I'm sorry to say but look for something else..
Try with my wrapper, this will fix these errors.

Regards.
@nebular

Just an update, on DS923+ I am unable to play MKV (4K) files, while it works smooth on Plex. Any idea why?
The solution that nebular has provided is not really a solution, more of just a way of being able to use those codecs using a wrapper rather than actually adding the codecs. The issue is because the DS923+ does not have on board graphics the wrapper won't work unless every codec you want to use is added to the wrapper.

In conclusion, the best solution would be to stick with Plex.

Upvote 0
@nebular

Just an update, on DS923+ I am unable to play MKV (4K) files, while it works smooth on Plex. Any idea why?
Well the DS923+ has't got a dedicated GPU. DS Video tries to do transcode (have you try to use "Original" quality in DS-Video?), but Plex, by default send the movie in a native format and It's the client where the Transcoding is done.

If you send the movie via DLNA in the LAN, you will be able to see the movie too.

Upvote 0
...but Plex is a much more secure way of keeping your network safe as DLNA has no security or a way of making it secure. The best thing you can do these days is disable any kind of DLNA services on your network.
DLNA is only for your LAN not for Internet.

Have you tried to disable the transcoding in DS-Video and select the "Original Mode" when you play it via DS-Video?

...but Plex is a much more secure way of keeping your network safe as DLNA has no security or a way of making it secure. The best thing you can do these days is disable any kind of DLNA services on your network.
and YES!!! The DLNA server can you add a secure layer. You can select the client allowed and other block, etc. LOOK!!
1676886898973.png

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I said "your network" meaning LAN, did not mention internet.

A device list is not a secure layer.

Advice: Always disable UPnP
UPnP is for NATs to Internet, and yes, this is unsecure. DLNA only run in LAN and doesn't work in Internet by design.
You can't use your library using DLNA in Internet.

UPnP and DLNA are protocols and different mechanics

Have you tried to disable the transcoding in DS-Video and select the "Original Mode" when you play it via DS-Video?

Upvote 0
UPnP is for NATs to Internet, and yes, this is unsecure. DLNA only run in LAN and doesn't work in Internet by design.
You can't use your library using DLNA in Internet.

UPnP and DLNA are protocols and different mechanics
If you make your LAN insecure then you are opening it to the world via the Internet if you have a WAN connected to the LAN.

Plex is not only more secure, it allows for encryption and encrypted connections. This is why DLNA has been phased out. Anyone who listens to someone who advises to use DLNA over Plex should be cautious of any advice that person gives, especially when it comes to the security of your LAN.

Upvote 0
If you make your LAN insecure then you are opening it to the world via the Internet if you have a WAN connected to the LAN.

Plex is not only more secure, it allows for encryption and encrypted connections. This is why DLNA has been phased out. Anyone who listens to someone who advises to use DLNA over Plex should be cautious of any advice that person gives, especially when it comes to the security of your LAN.
UPnP ISN'T DLNA.

You can use DLNA without UPnP.
You can't use DLNA in Internet, because the multicast packets stops in your edge.

My LAN is secured and trusted and adding a device filter, enabling DLNA here isn't a problem.
DLNA is a protocol that ONLY works in LAN NOT IN INTERNET.

Upvote 0
UPnP ISN'T DLNA.

You can use DLNA without UPnP.
You can't use DLNA in Internet, because the multicast packets stops in your edge.

My LAN is secured and trusted and adding a device filter, enabling DLNA here isn't a problem.
DLNA is a protocol that ONLY works in LAN NOT IN INTERNET.

Proves my point there.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Proves my point there.
You don't need open anything in your router, you don't need to open any TCP-UDP ports in NATs.
DLNA ONLY WORKS IN LAN, NOT IN INTERNET.
UPnP is another thing different to DLNA, and yes, must be disabled.

It's impossible connect a DLNA server in Internet. The DLNA Client use multicast to locate the server and in Internet will not be able to do this.

Someone who advises to use UPnP for enable or use DLNA should be cautious of any advice that person gives,

Upvote 0
You don't need open anything in your router, you don't need to open any TCP-UDP ports in NATs.
DLNA ONLY WORKS IN LAN, NOT IN INTERNET.
UPnP is another thing different to DLNA.

It's impossible connect a DLNA server in Internet. The DLNA Client use multicast to locate the server and in Internet will not be able to do this.

Someone who advises to use UPnP for enable DLNA should be cautious of any advice that person gives,
Okay, clearly you have an issue understanding basic network security as I advised not to use UPnP.

As a test just for your benefit I just tried using a DLNA server over the internet and it works perfectly, though most likely you will twist that I say I advise people to use it, which is not the case, DLNA should be for the trash bin.

Upvote 0
Okay, clearly you have an issue understanding basic network security as I advised not to use UPnP.

As a test just for your benefit I just tried using a DLNA server over the internet and it works perfectly, though most likely you will twist that I say I advise people to use it, which is not the case, DLNA should be for the trash bin.
It's Impossible to use DLNA in Internet. The TV send a multicast packet for locate the server.

You are mixing concepts like UPnP and DLNA...what's wrong with you?

You only can to use the same library used for DLNA server to internet using other protocols like http-https.

Upvote 0
It's Impossible to use DLNA in Internet. The TV send a multicast packet for locate the server.

You are mixing concepts like UPnP and DLNA...what's wrong with you?
You're severely misunderstanding what I'm saying. I said don't use either UPnP or DLNA. Because I speak Spanish as well as English I noticed you had UPnP on your screenshot listed down on your device list, that's why I mentioned it in the first place and pointed out to not only you but to others who read this thread that it's not advisable to use it.

Try doing an internet search for "How to Access a DLNA / UPnP Server Outside the Network" for instructions ;)

Upvote 0
Last edited by a moderator:
You're severely misunderstanding what I'm saying. I said don't use either UPnP or DLNA. Because I speak Spanish as well as English I noticed you had UPnP on your screenshot listed down on your device list, that's why I mentioned it in the first place and pointed out to not only you but to others who read this thread that it's not advisable to use it.

Try doing an internet search for "How to Access a DLNA / UPnP Server Outside the Network" for instructions ;)
You will be able to connect using other protocols like http-https NOT PURE DLNA protocol.
The synology calls UPnP/DLNA (It's a text not UPnP really) but, UPnP is not necessary for use DLNA. The UPnP must be configured in the WAN router and yes, this must be disabled.

Upvote 0
Last edited by a moderator:
You will be able to connect using other protocols like http-https NOT PURE DLNA protocol.
The synology calls UPnP/DLNA (It's a text not UPnP really) but, UPnP is not necessary for use DLNA. The UPnP must be configured in the WAN router and yes, this must be disabled.
Really? lol. Yes you can use pure DLNA protocol if you setup a VPN correctly ;)

Now you a disagreeing with yourself .

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.