DSM 7.1 Why VideoStation not playing .MKV files

NAS
DS923+, DS418
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Would like to ask, why Synology VideoStation won't play .MKV media files?

Any special CODEC required? While working normal on VLC engine.

Appreciate your help.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 185
Solution
Would like to ask, why Synology VideoStation won't play .MKV media files?

Any special CODEC required? While working normal on VLC engine.

Appreciate your help.
With this wrapper you will play DTS, EAC3 and TrueHD codec audios in Video Station and Media Server (DLNA).

Best regards.
-- post merged: --

I want to use VideoStation aswell but there are too many limitations. I'm sorry to say but look for something else..
Try with my wrapper, this will fix these errors.

Regards.
Really? lol. Yes you can use pure DLNA protocol if you setup a VPN correctly ;)

Now you a disagreeing with yourself .
VPN is a secure connection and not It's a Internet connect.

VPN will works because the TV and VPN clients are in the same VLAN or if the VLANs are different you are allowing the multicast packets between VPN VLAN and LAN VLAN.

Upvote 0
Clearly you want to defend your solution at all costs even if it means you post absolute trash.
NO.
I just want to clarify to you the concepts. DLNA only works in the LAN (in the same broadcast domain or VLAN). DLNA uses multicast. If you want to connect to Its library via Internet, you must to use other protocols like http-https. VPN is not a WAN connection. UPnP is not necessary for use DLNA. UPnP and DLNA are differents protocols.

Upvote 0
NO.
I just want to clarify to you the concepts. DLNA only works in the LAN (in the same broadcast domain or VLAN). DLNA uses multicast. If you want to connect to Its library via Internet, you must to use other protocols like http-https. VPN is not a WAN connection. UPnP is not necessary for use DLNA. UPnP and DLNA are differents protocols.
Your claim was that it was impossible to use DLNA over the Internet, but clearly you've been proved wrong and then you twist words to suit yourself rather than what has actually been said.

I'm sure you will deny that as well 😉

Upvote 0
Your claim was that it was impossible to use DLNA over the Internet, but clearly you've been proved wrong and then you twist words to suit yourself rather than what has actually been said.

I'm sure you will deny that as well 😉

YES, it is impossible to use DLNA over the Internet.
VPN is other thing or other connection that Internet.

Upvote 0
YES, it is impossible to use DLNA over the Internet.
VPN is other thing or other connection that Internet.
If a VPN connection is between two external sites and you use your ISPs connections then that data no matter what form it takes or protocol used it's still traveling over the Internet.

How else do you think it works?

Upvote 0
If a VPN connection is between two external sites and you use your ISPs connections then that data no matter what form it takes or protocol used it's still traveling over the Internet.

How else do you think it works?
NOT, you are mixing concepts.

The data is tunnelizing in a virtual LAN, It isn't a Internet conection, because you are connecting using a diferent segment.
Yes, You are using the WAN connection, but the data is TRAVELLING USING A VIRTUAL LAN NOT THE WAN CONNECTION.

Are different, have you ear about SPLIT TUNNEL?

Upvote 0
NOT, you are mixing concepts.

The data is tunnelizing in a virtual LAN, It isn't a Internet conection, because you are connecting using a diferent segment.

Are different, have you ear about SPLIT TUNNEL?
You've not understood what the Internet is or what the word means. It means interconnected.

Your orginal statement was "It's impossible to use DLNA over the Internet" where in that statement does it say the word connection?

Upvote 0
You've not understood what the Internet is or what the word means. It means interconnected.

Your orginal statement was "It's impossible to use DLNA over the Internet" where in that statement does it say the word connection?

It's impossible to use DLNA over the Internet
It's possible to use DLNA over LAN or VPN (IF ARE THE SAME BROADCAST DOMAIN)
It's impossible to use DLNA over the Internet, because the DLNA use MULTICAST and multicast is forbiden in Internet.
You can use a VPN, because a VPN use a virtual LAN Adapter.
I can't give you classes and explain the concepts to you

Upvote 0
It's impossible to use DLNA over the Internet
It's possible to use DLNA over LAN or VPN (IF ARE THE SAME BROADCAST DOMAIN)
It's impossible to use DLNA over the Internet, because the DLNA use MULTICAST and multicast is forbiden in Internet.
You can use a VPN, because a VPN use a virtual LAN Adapter.
I can't give you classes and explain the concepts to you
You better tell that to all the IPTV service providers then as they use multicast over the Internet to provide their services 🤣

Upvote 0
Last edited:
You better tell that to all the IPTV service providers then as they use multicast over the Internet to provide their services 🤣
It's based on http or https or using a defined TCP port. The IPTV isn't using MULTICAST OVER INTERNET.
IPTV isn't DLNA.

The IPTV isn't DLNA.

I insist to you, I can't give you classes.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Multicast uses UDP (User Datagram Protocol) and not http or https.

Forget, IPTV isn't using MULTICAST OVER INTERNET.
IPTV isn't DLNA.

In IPTV you connect a defined IP and a defined port.
I insist to you AGAIN, I can't give you classes.

MULTICAST IS A IP RANGE NOT A TCP OR UDP. The TCP and UDP usage depends on the app used not by the multicast. The multicast is propagated via UDP.

Upvote 0
Forgert, IPTV isn't using MULTICAST.
IPTV isn't DLNA.

-- post merged: --

MULTICAST IS A IP RANGE NOT A TCP OR UDP.

Forgert, IPTV isn't using MULTICAST.
IPTV isn't DLNA.

MULTICAST IS A IP RANGE NOT A TCP OR UDP. The TCP and UDP usage depends on the app used not by the multicast.
multicast2.jpg

Hopefully that clears it up for you 😂😂

Upvote 0
Last edited:
View attachment 12260
Hopefully that clears it up for you 😂😂
NOOOO

You can connect with UDP using a UNICAST connection too.
Nevermind.
IPTV IS NOT A DLNA.
IPTV DOESN'T USE MULTICAST CONNECTION OVER INTERNET, ONLY USE VLAN.
VLAN, VPN, LAN (SAME BROADCAST DOMAIN) = MULTICAST WORKING
WAN = MULTICAST DOESN'T WORK
IPTV DOESN'T USE MULTICAST VIA INTERNET. IT'S USING MULTICAST USING VLAN

Upvote 0
NOOOO

You can connect with UDP using a UNICAST connection too.
Nevermind.
IPTV IS NOT A DLNA.
IPTV DOESN'T USE MULTICAST CONNECTION.
Here we go again. Whenever you make statements and it's proved they are false, you go off at a tangent and completely mix up everything else.

I'm interested to know which country you live in? I've lived in the UK, US, Spain and Canada and all their IPTV services use multicast, hence where I got the screenshot from which shows IPTV using multicast 😂

Upvote 0
Considering this conversation is turning in a "wrong" tone and slightly away from the topic, this will be first and final warning to the participants of this "debate" to stop or face temporary or permanent ban from the forum with a complete deletion of the topic as well.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.