DS218
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have a mesh setup with 2 RT2600ac routers. How do I find the IP address for the WiFi point? I can only "see" the primary router (obviously) but the 2nd router that's setup as a WiFi point can't be found by Synology Assistant, router.synology.com, or in the list of devices on the primary router screens. What am I missing?

In this setup - is there a need to install threat prevention/safe access on 2nd RT2600ac router or is it sufficient to have it on the primary router? Should this 2nd router have a static IP address?

Not really sure how this works... Thanks for any feedback.

In this setup - is there a need to install threat prevention/safe access on 2nd RT2600ac router or is it sufficient to have it on the primary router? Should this 2nd router have a static IP address?
Mesh setup will do it all. IPS only goes on the router role device and that is only one of the two. Updates of the SRM on both will also be managed from a single UI for both units.

The devices IP address should be visible in the network center list but it terms of managing you can just do it centrally from the "main" device.

Upvote 0
As already said, the mesh setup has a primary device and a number of access points.

The primary device is both gateway (firewall and router) and configuration point for the whole mesh. The packages (e.g. Threat Prevention, Safe Access, VPN Plus) only run on the primary device since these operate on connections at the Internet/LAN boundary.

The mesh access points just extend the network, so they get their configuration from the primary device. If you try to browse to an access point it will redirect back to the primary device.

Upvote 0
Makes sense. Thank you very much. I had previously configured the router as an access point (bridge mode) and was able to see/manage it, hence my confusion.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.