Wifi6 compatibility

Currently reading
Wifi6 compatibility

I understand the frustration but please be assured that once a data packet leaves the wifi access point and joins the physical network it is stripped of all the wifi information & headers and becomes just a regular packet. It has no memory of its journey via wifi or any other encapsulating packet along the way.

You have changed your router though - that is a physical network change. The settings may (or may not) be the same but as a consumer router it will only expose a fraction of the actual settings through to the end user. Add in the internal changes, architecture differences, security and firmware revisions your new 'router' will behave differently to your previous one.

The frustration of consumer-focused 'routers' (typically not just a router but an all-in-one network device), such as those made by Asus, is the reason many of us buy a more enterprise focused 'pure' router so that we can see and change every little detail.

Are we ready to focus on the physical changes of your network introduced with the router and firewall part of your new Asus device?

☕
How would I identify physical changes that aren’t visible from the ASUS settings I can see? This is definitely new terrain for me.

How would I identify physical changes that aren’t visible from the ASUS settings I can see? This is definitely new terrain for me.
That maybe where we are now ;) in the position of "it should work but isn't".

The Synology compatibility list is purely for DSM's ability to automatically add firewall rules using UPnP. This is a router feature that we would strongly advise not enabling and that you manage you perimeter security yourself ... add only the rules you know you need. If you enable UPnP on the router then any LAN device can adapt your policy and that's not really good security practice, especially when you consider the lax setup of IoT devices.

Rowing back to your initial statement that QC isn't working without port forwarding: as you are clearly aware how QC works, when isn't it working? setup of QC in DSM; accessing from the Internet; accessing from the LAN?

Is there a different (or lack of) implementation of NAT loopback in the new router? i.e. LAN device uses external address for NAS but the router spots this and send back to the LAN IP of the NAS.

In DSM 7 the QC setup now adds a QC direct SSL certificate, I haven't check how this is validated by Let's Encrypt but maybe that uses the port forwarding? Obviously the NAS bit hasn't changed but ... y'know... clutching at straws here.

If your new router is blocking upnp then many on here would cheer - upnp was never really designed for such use and it brings a shudder to all network admins. Upnp2 is slightly better in that you can easily see what the automatics are doing behind your back but the security issues are clear.

I happen to use upnp2 and will now have rocks thrown at me by the wise heads on this forum. But I see upnp2 as a more advanced feature only as you have to monitor it.

I think the solution you have engineered by yourself is the actual resolution - use port forwarding only - so you know what is going in and out of your network and why.

So my suggestion solution is that you have already fixed it - well done you.

[edit: fredbert and I overlapped with our posts! 😎]

☕

Ready... are there any women here?

Stone him.jpeg

You have a router / firewall / network issue somewhere, so focus on this and explain your current network topology in order to help us to help you.
Per my above post... I have this router. QC works fine w/o port-forwarding, at least for DS File.
OP has a systems issue independent of any Synology compatibility list.

If your new router is blocking upnp then many on here would cheer - upnp was never really designed for such use and it brings a shudder to all network admins. Upnp2 is slightly better in that you can easily see what the automatics are doing behind your back but the security issues are clear.

I happen to use upnp2 and will now have rocks thrown at me by the wise heads on this forum. But I see upnp2 as a more advanced feature only as you have to monitor it.

I think the solution you have engineered by yourself is the actual resolution - use port forwarding only - so you know what is going in and out of your network and why.

So my suggestion solution is that you have already fixed it - well done you.

[edit: fredbert and I overlapped with our posts! 😎]

☕
Ok, I’ll stick with my current fix. Thanks!

When I switched to the AX router, I set it up with exactly the same configuration. ASUS routers have a good deal of settings that can be tweaked. I went page by page, and set up everything in the AX router exactly as the AC router. There are no differences in the router settings, my firewall (Norton) settings are the same, my network settings are the same. Hence my frustration.

I know how frustrating these issues can be. I'm fairly confident, though, that it is a router/network setting. I won't repeat the suggestions offered above but would encourage you to investigate them further and post back then. Good luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.