Solved Will DS920 suit my need?

Currently reading
Solved Will DS920 suit my need?

Hi everyone,

I currently own a DS115+ at home, as well as a DS115j by my sister for local TimeMachine backups, and off-site backups of the two devices between each other. I am considering to replace my 115+ by a 920+ to allow some new projects, and move the DS115+ to my sister's place (and do something with the 115j, but I don't know what yet. Would someone still buy that nowadays?). The planed tasks for the new device are:

Immediate duties
  • data storage
  • DLNA
  • "Drive" cloud services for close relatives (about 5 persons, max 10 in the future).
  • TimeMachine backup
  • Windows backups
  • Android backups (Acronis? Not sure the DS920+ is compatible...)
  • Host off-site Synology NAS backup (my sister's).
  • Share/sync calendars and contacts with my family (again about 5 persons to begin with).
  • Store, organize, share quiet an amount of photos with Moments, Photo Station and/or the coming new package.
Projects on the longer run
  • Setup VPN access to allow secure, remote file access.
  • Install Docker with few containers to begin (piHole, Tiny Tiny RSS, and more to come) (I know nothing about Docker at the time, but I already know I will find many interesting things to do with it)
  • Host a Website
  • Host a Mail server (for "catch them all" purpose)
  • Route all my home traffic through a VPN tunnel (so, DS920 would be the client to my VPN provider for all our traffic).
  • Maybe run DS Video, not sure yet.
My idea is to start with 3x4To disks in RAID 5 config, and remain with the 4Gb RAM as long as it runs smoothly. I guess it should be enough to start, but it would also be ready for future developments. Or do you think I should directly go for 8 or more Gb RAM? I don't have the feeling that my projects are a heavy duty for the device, but that is where I would appreciate your advice/knowledge.

Maybe a good "old" 918+ would also do the job? But if the 920 is there I guess I better get this one, be only to ensure longer term compatibility. Do you agree with this idea?

Does this all make sense based on your experience, or would you say I better have a look at other (smaller?) devices?

Thanks' in advance for your advice and keep going with the good job on this forum! I like discovering new projects and discussions here very much!

Would someone still buy that nowadays?
Don't sell it. It will have more value for you than to try and sell it for almost nothing. If nothing else it can be another device that will do for a local/remote backup.

Immediate duties
Projects on the longer run
It will do all that without any problems

Or do you think I should directly go for 8 or more Gb RAM?
Would suggest having more breathing room, especially when you move towards Docker usage. You can get a compatible aftermarket brand of RAM.

Maybe a good "old" 918+ would also do the job? But if the 920 is there I guess I better get this one, be only to ensure long term compatibility. Do you agree with this idea?
As a 918 owner, I can say that 920 is not an upgrade for me at all, but if I was in the market for a new NAS in that drive bay range, 920 would be it.

Does this all make sense based on your experience, or would you say I better have a look at other (smaller?) devices?
You will not regret getting 920 (if it will perform as 918 does, and it should be better as well). If you can afford it, don't look for the 2 bay version or that 420. You will be very satisfied with this model and what it can do. Worth evey penny.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.