Currently reading
Windows 10 drive mapping does not stick

NAS
DS213J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'm now to NAS. Just got a DS213J to try out and learn before committing to a more expensive newer unit. I have mapped drives on two Windows 10 Pcs on my lan and it works fine, for a day. Then the next day the mapping breaks. I'm using this convention \\192.168.1.9\video for example. Have assigned a static IP to the NAS via DSM control panel, in range my router does not use for DHCP. But it just does not stick. The image file shows the error message. My skill level is that I'm a software salesman, so a bit technical; build my own desktop PCs but don't know much about networking. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
DriveMapFail.JPG

Do you need letter mappings? You should be able to access the NAS entirely via Windows Explorer. Or set a desktop shortcut to the NAS.

Often the mapping handshake occurs before the connection is ready to be made. If this happens you can add a task to Task Scheduler to map after login.

Upvote 0
Do you need letter mappings? You should be able to access the NAS entirely via Windows Explorer. Or set a desktop shortcut to the NAS.

Often the mapping handshake occurs before the connection is ready to be made. If this happens you can add a task to Task Scheduler to map after login.
Yes, I can access the Nas itself. The drive letter mapping just seems quicker easier if it could work. I’m not familiar the task scheduling for the mapping but I’ll look into it. Don’t really want to add another program for explorer. Thanks

Upvote 0
Yes, I can access the Nas itself. The drive letter mapping just seems quicker easier if it could work. I’m not familiar the task scheduling for the mapping but I’ll look into it. Don’t really want to add another program for explorer. Thanks
Are you using the same synology user & password when you create the drive mappings? The error msg suggests you are & that this is the problem - try creating a user on the synology for each share (eg 'home_user', 'photo_user' etc) and remap each share using the appropriate user.
This way you can also grant different read/write/delete permissions to each user, if this is useful.

Upvote 0
Yeah.... also: NOT using drive letters may be safer in case the user's machine gets infected...

Upvote 0
Well, I stumbled across the solution. Hope it helps someone else. Thanks for all the feedback and ideas. What ultimately worked was setting up the drive mapping from within the synology assist application not from the windows explorer desktop. I found the instructions on synology.com under Q&A. Worked great drive mapping has stuck for over a week now. Here's the link: How do I map a network drive using Synology Assistant? - Synology Knowledge Center

Upvote 0
Now that you mention this issue.... I had a similar annoyance, Win10 not "remembering" drive mapping. So I then set them up using FreeCommander XE (recommended), which I use as an alternative for WinExplorer anyway.
As an aside: be aware that using drive mappings is a bit more risky than using full network names. For instance, I also use SyncBackFree and there I do NOT use drive letters but FQN.

Upvote 0
Well, I stumbled across the solution. Hope it helps someone else. Thanks for all the feedback and ideas. What ultimately worked was setting up the drive mapping from within the synology assist application not from the windows explorer desktop. I found the instructions on synology.com under Q&A. Worked great drive mapping has stuck for over a week now. Here's the link: How do I map a network drive using Synology Assistant? - Synology Knowledge Center
I'm struggling with this issue, and the assistant doesn't seem to do the trick. I go all the way through the map drive wizard, but when I check This PC, the drive is not there. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
That's what I tried first, but it doesn't even see the NAS... see screen shots. I have checked all the settings on the NAS for sharing...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-21 102836.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-21 102836.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot 2023-02-21 102813.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-21 102813.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 0
Last edited:
@Yodel

I have 2 PCs running Win11 with SMB connections to my DS-220+ without issue.
  • Each have mapped drives to multiple NAS Shared folders
  • And, each running Synology Drive client sync, locally and remotely - no problem.
Checklist/Reminder...
There are 5 things you must do to make SMB work for a PC.
  1. Enable SMB in Control panel > File Services > [SMB]
  2. Enable WS-Discovery in Control panel > File Services > [SMB] > WS-Discovery
  3. Enable FW rule for WS-Discovery (both Transfer and Discovery)
  4. Users must have SMB permissions in Control panel > User & Group > User > Applications [SMB]
  5. If your FW has a DENY ALL rule at the end, add a FW rule that allows your LAN device IPs to pass through the NAS FW
In addition, I strongly recommend you assign a static IP for your PC in your router. If not, you run the risk of your PC getting assigned a different LAN IP with your router's DHCP server. And the next time you boot (or wake), your NAS may not be able to see it.

This same issue works in the other direction. If you are allowing your NAS to sleep and you have not assigned a static IP of your NAS in your router, then the DHCP assignment might refresh and your NAS gets a new LAN IP address.

I also noticed that image #2 shows "Connect with different credentials" unchecked. (I think) that will only work if your PC user name and password are identical to a user name and password for your NAS. I always have separate user names for each device and require "Connect with different credentials" to be checked.

Lastly, most experts will tell you never to connect to a NAS through SMB with admin user privileges. Instead, connect to a NAS with user privileges. And be sure to use SMB version 2 or higher. SMB version 3 is much preferred but not always available by the client (MAC users be ware).

Upvote 0

Did I ask for you help?

As I'm able to develop PowerShell scripts, how do you think this is helpful for me?
You are reffering to articles that suggest to enable and rely on an ancient protocol like NetBIOS on Windows, or rely on WS-Discovery that works on broadcast traffic which obviously only works within the same IP subnet.. LOL.. Really??

Upvote 0
Did I ask for you help?

As I'm able to develop PowerShell scripts, how do you think this is helpful for me?
You are reffering to articles that suggest to enable and rely on an ancient protocol like NetBIOS on Windows, or rely on WS-Discovery that works on broadcast traffic which obviously only works within the same IP subnet.. LOL.. Really??
And your fragile ego has been triggered by a poster new to NASs in his 70's, who started programming with punch cards in the 1970s - probably before you were even the mearest twinkle in your parents' eyes - who was just trying to help a fellow poster.

Wind your neck in and treat people with respect, hotshot.

Upvote 0
Drive mapping issues can be frustrating, but don't worry, you're not alone in facing them. From what you described, your approach seemed spot on, and it's great that you assigned a static IP to the NAS. Sometimes these hiccups can be due to various factors like network configurations or updates.

Upvote 0
Drive mapping issues can be frustrating, but don't worry, you're not alone in facing them. From what you described, your approach seemed spot on, and it's great that you assigned a static IP to the NAS. Sometimes these hiccups can be due to various factors like network configurations or updates.
Since you were technically inclined, double-checking your router settings to ensure no interference with the static IP could have helped. Also, checking Windows Update settings and any firewall configurations that could potentially affect the mapping might have been a good idea. You can also check out cheap windows keys if you wanna get a new copy windows. They have some really cool options there.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.