Windows 10 VM from an existing Windows desktop ?

Currently reading
Windows 10 VM from an existing Windows desktop ?

NAS
DS920+
I'm really stumbling around in the dark here... I have a Windows 10 desktop with at least one app that can't ever be reinstalled when I replace that desktop. So, I thought I would see if I could use it to create a VM on my DS920+ and sort of keep it forever . I've watched a couple of Youtub videos on creating a VM but it appears that these are all fresh Win10 installations. I used the Windows backup utility to create an image of my desktop installation and puttered about on VMM but just keep bumping into walls.

My first question is... is what I am trying to do even possible / practical ?

If it is possible, can someone point me in the general direction as to how to proceed. I don't want to take up hours of your time writing out instructions, as nice as that may be, but something that would get me off and running would really help.

Upvote 0
I see some useful instructions here :

There is information also for utilities to convert real system to VM.

Many thanks for the link. Certainly part of the problem for me was just using the correct search terms. This should really give me a push in the right direction. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.