Windows search for network shares on Synology?

Currently reading
Windows search for network shares on Synology?

I have various shared folders on our Synology NAS which are accessed by multiple windows PCs. I would like to be able to search the contents of the network shares via Windows' built-in search abilities.

I would rather not have each individual PC index each of these shares, as this would need to be set up on many PCs (around 20 of them). Is there a way for the PCs to pull the index from Synology's Universal Search?

I have various shared folders on our Synology NAS which are accessed by multiple windows PCs. I would like to be able to search the contents of the network shares via Windows' built-in search abilities.

I would rather not have each individual PC index each of these shares, as this would need to be set up on many PCs (around 20 of them). Is there a way for the PCs to pull the index from Synology's Universal Search?

I was able to do this. It’s either in universal search, or control panel indexing. Add the shared folders that you want.

I was able to do this. It’s either in universal search, or control panel indexing. Add the shared folders that you want.
Hmm... Well I already have universal search set up, but that has not done the trick. And indexing within Control Panel is only for media files as far as I can tell. Are you sure that you haven't just explicitly set your PC to index the share?

Also, are you sure it is actually using an "index" versus just searching in real-time?

On the "official" synology forums, there is a post about this where someone says that it works on Macs, but not on PCs. But who knows if that poster was correct or not.

If the files were hosted on Windows Server this would work (the server does the indexing, and the PCs can search it). I was hoping I could make it work with the shares on the NAS.

Hmm... Well I already have universal search set up, but that has not done the trick. And indexing within Control Panel is only for media files as far as I can tell. Are you sure that you haven't just explicitly set your PC to index the share?

Also, are you sure it is actually using an "index" versus just searching in real-time?

On the "official" synology forums, there is a post about this where someone says that it works on Macs, but not on PCs. But who knows if that poster was correct or not.

If the files were hosted on Windows Server this would work (the server does the indexing, and the PCs can search it). I was hoping I could make it work with the shares on the NAS.

its deff from universal search. The reason I say this is I indexed one folder out of a few and only that folder was showing in windows. I then added a second or a third to index.

there may also be an indexing service on the windows computer that needs to be turned on. I will have to look in more detail and get back to you. I vaguely remember a tick, to allow network shared folders to be searched as well
-- post merged: --

I’m pretty sure it’s on the computer side. I’m not at a computer but check this out

1. you can’t reuse Syno Postgres DB index source for Win desktop OS or any other desktop OS for the remote indexing reuse. When yes, I would like see a proof.
Reasons:
- every NAS vendor has unique technology for the indexing
- same for the different approach how and where to store the indexing data (within NAS volumes) and what data taxonomy they will use for that
- then your computer OS needs to know what NAS vendor and what db, tables, path to the db, .... usr/psw for the db
- every such index db contains content specific metadata, in specific structures, data type format, ...
- but W OS uses also their own proprietary Extensible Storage Engine for the indexing services. Diff db, diff structures, ...
- then it’s necessary to create “an universal” and consistent db converter for these remote data into single desktop OS driven index service for each these NAS differences. OMG, it’s a crazy plan.

2. there are just these options:
A. DSM Universal search
B. mounted remote share index by computer OS side = this isn’t reuse of the Universal search

the explanation from MS link is about 2.B only

Last edited:
@jeyare

Mac user here, with a number of Mac clients connected to Synology NASs.

Yes, macOS can use the Synology Universal Search Index and integrate it within macOS Finder for all Mac clients.

Pretty neat and I am not aware of a Windows equivalent but it does come with a few caveats:

- You have to be specific when indexing folders and do it at a high enough level in the folder tree as there is a limit on top-level folders that can be indexed and used by Finder. Sub-folders don't count for the limit and I think the limit was moved from a restrictive limit of 100 to I think 1000 folders.

- An indexed folder has to have sufficient space for the index itself (with a minimum of at least 100 MB free, even if the index is tiny) or it silently quits on you.

- Mac clients have to have a fully-mounted* folder sufficiently high enough to contain the Universal Search indexes for the folder and any subfolders. (*ie displaying the eject caret)

- Until recently only AFP worked reliably but since Catalina (maybe earlier?) SMB works perfectly.

- You can only trigger a manual re-index from the NAS itself.

- Finder does not show if it is using the Synology Universal Search Index or not. If it isn't for whatever reason then a Finder search will only reveal file names. If it is then it will dutifully search for content within individual files.

There was a detailed white paper on the subject a while back but it seems to have vanished but the above are the things I have to be mindful of when using Universal Search through a client Mac.

Regards to all.

Thanks @Rusty

I've yet to try it but I understand that DSM7 has further improvements in the way it works with macOS clients.

I've fully divested myself of all Windows PCs over the years save for a single mini Lenovo server for the rare occasions when only Windows will do. I don't miss Windows at all.

@pMetal one minor detail that I had read over, is you were looking for windows search to use the synology indexing database, I do not know if this is done. In this area I’d go off of @jeyare ’s comments.

All I know is that I can search files on the windows explorer for files that live on the nas; this is probably due to the computer indexing.

For those enlightened folk on macOS I added a guide on Finder and Synology Universal Search integration:

(Ok, even us Mac folk have to use Windows once in a while)

Thx for a justification of the integration between Mac OS and Synology Universal search.

Just curious. How much time do you need for a reuse of the Universal Search in the Finder for >10GB Shared folder?
When it's about real integration as you wrote, then you can use this "reuse" feature immediately in the Finder side, no matter how much files at the NAS side (already indexed by NAS) = No need an additional indexing at MAC OS side.

Why the question:
- your test case is about single folder only contains two RTF files contain just two words - what is a peanut for local OS based indexing.
This is a different test case, than fully loaded NAS Shared folder with tons of multipage DOCs, what would prove this integration. OFC, already indexed at NAS side.
When it's really working, then I have to need more study about additional possibilities at MAC OS side.
Thx for such test.

...then you can use this "reuse" feature immediately in the Finder side, no matter how much files at the NAS side (already indexed by NAS) = No need an additional indexing at MAC OS side.
Yep, this.

The 'handshake' of Universal Search with Finder Search is not instantaneous if you mount and immediately search a share it is possible (just) to beat it but it is pretty quick in most circumstances.

As you have noted, if the Synology has already indexed a massive shared folder then all of that index is available to Finder when mounted, even if it is the first time. There is no extra work on the client Mac as all the actual indexing is done by Universal Search on the NAS at whatever speed the NAS and storage system can manage (my indexed shares are on SSD volumes so limited more by cpu than storage speed).

:cool:

thx, I trust you for now :)
still w/o a proof mentioned by me (the massive Shared folder check), but ok
then I need correct my statement just for MacOS - it’s possible

However, there is still valid “no way” for Win based OSs. Same for Tracker in Ubuntu. Both doesn’t reuse existing Universal search from Syno.

No need to believe me as I am just a bloke typing stuff on the internet. :p

Not sure why Synology does not make more of an effort to publish this feature as it was one of the 'highlights' with the original launch of DSM6.0.

The 'DSM Help' app on the NASes themselves limits the commentary to a single line listed under Universal Search:

• Indexed folders can be mounted to a Mac computer via SMB and AFP, and allow search through Mac Finder.

Not exactly an exhaustive level of detail.

Back to my cup of tea.

:coffee:

Not sure why Synology does not make more of an effort to publish this feature as it was one of the 'highlights' with the original launch of DSM6.0.

yes, this is for me one of the main factor of “how does it work”, when they don’t publish it officially. This is a space for a conspiracy ...

As I wrote Ubuntu/Gnome Tracker is using their own db, you can use SPARQL direct commands for an useful queries. But no success with Syno.
And as I wrote, Win is totally out.

From what I've read on other forums as of DSM 7.0 Synology allows Windows to use the Universal Search index. I still ran into a snag when trying to search through my shared folders. While Googling for solutions, this thread kept popping up in every search I did so I'm hoping this will help someone else even though I'm replying to an 8 month old thread. Here's how to fix the search problem. Counterintuitively, you have to check a box that disables the Windows Index for the network folder.

windows-synology-search.jpg

I can confirm that madmarv post above also works in Windows 11 with one caveat. "Folder Options" has changed to "File Explorer Options" You can search for the latter in the start menu. I have Synology dsm 7.0 universal search setup to index music and video shares. Also mapped those as network drives in Win11 but I'm not certain if that's a factor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.