Windows search for network shares on Synology?

Currently reading
Windows search for network shares on Synology?

It looks like Win11 only indexes shares that are mapped to drives. This works great for me as I have Google Drive shared on the nas as well as installed locally on the win11 machine. Google drive and Synology Cloudsync keeps the two synced. I only see search results for the local Google drive which is ideal for my use case.

I know this is an old thread, but it's still an issue, with no working answer, so I'm interested to contribute my (lack of) findings.

Because I'm also attempting to get the Synology DS1621+ file index to be viewed by Win10.
I know it's a Windows 10 issue because it's working remarkably instantly in Win7.
The shared folder has a very large collection of contents, so it's easy to tell when it's working or not.

Both computers:
  • are using SMBv2
  • are on the same subnet with the NAS
  • have the NAS share of interest mapped as a drive letter.
  • are connected to that drive-mapped share as the same user.
  • neither computer has that drive listed in "Indexing Options" (I believe it is NOT possible to add a mapped drive there in the local indexing options).

On the Win7 computer:
- It just works. Freaky fast it works. Thousands of hits in a few seconds, and done.

On the Win10 computer:
  • Searches are slow, done on the fly, with the Win10 computer examining the filesystem looking for matches.
  • I've ticked the boxes in folder options, enabling only "Don't use the index when searching in file folders for system files" and unchecking the "system directories" one, which was checked before.
  • I've run the search troubleshooter, and it restarted a service.
  • File indexing works on the local files on this computer, just not the network attached files.
  • I've removed the drive mapping, changed the user creds, remapped as a different drive letter.
  • Removed credentials from Credentials Manager (along with the line above to try to reset everything).

I see some policies on this page, but none seem exactly applicable, nor is this a windows server.
Windows Search 4.0 and Multilingual User Interface Pack - Windows Client

Any ideas to try are welcome, as there appears to be a dearth of any useful information as to the exact requirements for this to function.

One more question on Search on Mac. I added indexing folders and now can search files on its names. But have two problems:
1) what is "document"? Search doesn't work on *.rtfd files! How to add this file type to "document"?
2) there are key words and tags in mac file system. But search in Finder doesn't work on them in NAS Synology. What should be done to resolve the problem?

On the Win10 computer:
  • Searches are slow, done on the fly, with the Win10 computer examining the filesystem looking for matches.
  • I've ticked the boxes in folder options, enabling only "Don't use the index when searching in file folders for system files" and unchecking the "system directories" one, which was checked before.
  • I've run the search troubleshooter, and it restarted a service.
  • File indexing works on the local files on this computer, just not the network attached files.
  • I've removed the drive mapping, changed the user creds, remapped as a different drive letter.
  • Removed credentials from Credentials Manager (along with the line above to try to reset everything).
(Red emphasis added above)

[SOLVED] - Windows 10 20H1 [Version 10.0.19044.2728]
In case someone else (new to this device or otherwise) has been around in circles with it like I have, hopefully you can get success too.

Bizarrely, I have got it working just by changing one setting back to its default, which is contrary to several answers I've found on the matter.

To get Win10 to use the remote index (where DSM is indexing the NAS) It is working very quickly now just after I UNCHECKED the box for "Don't use the index when searching in file folders for system files." In my defense, it was already not working when set this way, which was the default. Previously I had unchecked that, because following a few guides which agreed to have it CHECKED (and which changed nothing apparent to me).

With that box checked once again (back to defaults) the search is for sure calling on the remote index, because the DS briefly activates the disks, and the search is completed.

So. Mapped drives are considered file folders for system files. Got it.

Possibly related - I don't know if installing an update to SMB Service had anything to do with it, it's possible. I thought I had already got all updates in January, but the update to SMB Service was showing for 4.10.18-0548 which is dated 2022-12-29, which I also applied recently.

I'm attaching the File Explorer > View > Options > Search settings window with the boxes checked that got it working just now.

Good luck.

Attachments

• default_search_options.png
    default_search_options.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 160

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.