Wipe data off removed hard drives

Currently reading
Wipe data off removed hard drives

NAS
DS1513
Operating system
  1. Windows
So I replaced 4 of my 5 bay DS1513 volumes with 8T drives from 3T drives, I left Vol I as a 3T drive since it doesn't host data. My question is in order to wipe my old 3T drives do I have to put them back in the diskstation? I bought a hard drive flat docking station, so I could hook up thru a USB drive & wipe them, but windows is not recognizing the disks at all, so I can't apply the diskwipe. Any recommendations on how to get my data cleared without having to load back in the disk station? I'm thinking deguassing, but don't wanted to ruin them. I'd like to sell them if possible. Any advice is welcome and thanks!

Have you used diskpart from Windows cmd.exe? It's very important to be sure you are working on the right disk because you can completely trash your internal/boot disk if you select the wrong one.

Steps 1 to 7 to make the disk available in Computer Management to apply a new file system. Or follow all steps to clean and format the disk.

Doing the above doesn't overwrite the actual data written to the tracks on the platters but only the structure that aids understanding what is where in the platters. After getting access to the disk you should then do a full overwrite of 3 or 7 times, and this takes ages but means you data will be almost impossible to recover.

Upvote 0
You do not need to wipe drives to move them between Synology machines. Simply reformat them such that the partitioning information is rewritten. It can be done through Windows' Computer Management interface.

If for some reason you are unable to do that, use 'diskpart clean' to clear the partitions.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.