Wireguard dyonr-qbittorrent container not launching

Currently reading
Wireguard dyonr-qbittorrent container not launching

Last edited:
No the marcusmcnugen qbittorrent docker I meant.

I'd prefer to get the binhex qbittorrent package working since that's already set up and should be working. Hopefully someone can help me with why I can't access it at port 8080 as showed in the previous posts.

View attachment 10783
This is displayed in firefox
looking at the log I see a lot of:

iptables v1.8.8 (legacy): can't initialize iptables table `filter': Permission denied (you must be root)

Are you running the container in privilaged mode? Also how are your ports configured? Have you changed anything on that front?

I'm trying to enable executing using high privilege, but then it returns that 'local ports 6881,8080,8118 conflict with orth ports used by other services', so I can't save it.

This is what my ports look like:
2022-09-21--19.44.24.jpg

I'm trying to enable executing using high privilege, but then it returns that 'local ports 6881,8080,8118 conflict with orth ports used by other services', so I can't save it.

This is what my ports look like:
View attachment 10785
Either another container is running on some of those ports, or the Docker is detecting this container and its ports as conflicting ones while saving the settings. Best to destroy it and create it from scratch with those settings privileged settings.

The point is that 8080 should be running just fine. The only reason that you can't connect to it is that the Wireguard element did not finish and the qbit client did not start at all. Looking at the errors it could be just that. Qbit will not load until the vpn element has finished loading up.

I've used this to recreate it, but still getting the same error. Can't I use other ports? My normal qbittorrent docker is working fine at ports 8080 and 8999

Code:
docker run -d \
    --sysctl="net.ipv4.conf.all.src_valid_mark=1" \
    --privileged=true \
    -p 6881:6881 \
    -p 6881:6881/udp \
    -p 8080:8080 \
    -p 8118:8118 \
    --name=qbittorrentwg \
    -v /volume1/video/downloads:/data \
    -v /volume1/docker/qbittorrentvpn:/config \
    -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro \
    -e VPN_ENABLED=yes \
    -e VPN_PROV=custom \
    -e VPN_CLIENT=wireguard \
    -e LAN_NETWORK=192.168.1.0/24 \
    -e WEBUI_PORT=8080 \
    -e PUID=1027 \
    -e PGID=100 \
    binhex/arch-qbittorrentvpn

Well if you already have one more container using the same port that will not work. You will have to change the ports on this one. Change the left side values only, do not change the right values. This will not apply to the 8080 port though.

As the documentation states:

For example, to set the port to 8090 you need to set -p 8090:8090 and -e WEBUI_PORT=8090

So be sure to change the port on all 3 spots. For the rest of the ports, if you need to change them, then change only the left value.

Well if you already have one more container using the same port that will not work. You will have to change the ports on this one. Change the left side values only, do not change the right values. This will not apply to the 8080 port though.

As the documentation states:

For example, to set the port to 8090 you need to set -p 8090:8090 and -e WEBUI_PORT=8090

So be sure to change the port on all 3 spots. For the rest of the ports, if you need to change them, then change only the left value.

Sorry I meant that the normal bittorrent docker is running fine, but is not running. It's disabled and no other dockers are running using any of those ports.

Sorry I meant that the normal bittorrent docker is running fine, but is not running. It's disabled and no other dockers are running using any of those ports.
But you have it configured, even if it's stopped. Just change the values and test it again.

Alright it does now have high privileges, but it again gives the error messages in firefox 'The connection was reset'

I used this:

Code:
docker run -d \
    --privileged=true \
    -p 6890:6881 \
    -p 6890:6881/udp \
    -p 8090:8090 \
    -p 8120:8118 \
    --name=qbittorrentwg \
    -e VPN_ENABLED=yes \
    -e VPN_PROV=custom \
    -e WEBUI_PORT=8090 \
    -e PUID=1027 \
    -e PGID=100 \

Alright it does now have high privileges, but it again gives the error messages in firefox 'The connection was reset'

I used this:

Code:
docker run -d \
    --privileged=true \
    -p 6890:6881 \
    -p 6890:6881/udp \
    -p 8090:8090 \
    -p 8120:8118 \
    --name=qbittorrentwg \
    -e VPN_ENABLED=yes \
    -e VPN_PROV=custom \
    -e WEBUI_PORT=8090 \
    -e PUID=1027 \
    -e PGID=100 \
Then its not booting as it should.

Try a different solution or as Telos suggested separate the vpn element form the client one and connect them together as a service and vpn gateway option.

Without a log it would be difficult to determine what the issue is atm but it looks like this is again not connecting as it should.

Last edited:
I've managed to setup the markusmcnugan-qbittorrentvpn docker with openvpn, but it does limit my download speed to about 20MB/s (I'm on 1Gbit fiber), so I'd like to try Wireguard with Gluetun and then run the standard linuxserver-qbittorrent docker through it. But I'm kind of at a loss. I'm trying to follow this video (
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
) but it's not really clear to a noob like me. Could anyone help me with some basic steps on how to set that up on synology ds720+?

I've managed to setup the markusmcnugan-qbittorrentvpn docker with openvpn, but it does limit my download speed to about 20MB/s (I'm on 1Gbit fiber), so I'd like to try Wireguard with Gluetun and then run the standard linuxserver-qbittorrent docker through it. But I'm kind of at a loss. I'm trying to follow this video (
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
) but it's not really clear to a noob like me. Could anyone help me with some basic steps on how to set that up?

Have you tried to run the docker run command for WG from here:

Shouldn't I try this since im using surfshark? Surfshark · qdm12/gluetun Wiki

Which variables do I need to add or change then? There's only a private key, but in my VPN settings I also see a public key, some DNS servers, an address and an endpoint.
Guess you will have to try. Not using Surfshark, so give it a go.

Okay Ive only changed the private key and the address to what is in my wireguard.conf file, and ran that code in Putty as root.
When I run the code below, this is displayed in Putty. Looks like it's running, and a docker package shows up in my container list. But when I close putty, it disappears again?

2022-09-22--09.28.34.jpg

Code:
# Wireguard
docker run -it --rm --cap-add=NET_ADMIN -e VPN_SERVICE_PROVIDER=surfshark \
-e VPN_TYPE=wireguard \
-e WIREGUARD_PRIVATE_KEY=<privatekey> \
-e WIREGUARD_ADDRESSES="10.14.0.2/16" \
-e SERVER_COUNTRIES=Netherlands qmcgaw/gluetun

Excellent!

But when I close putty, it disappears again?
The reason for this is as your docker run is running in -it mode (interactive). Meaning when you close it it drops the container.

Change the -it to -d and remove the --rm as well

Alright perfect I got the container running successfuly in docker :)

How do I put my existing linuxserver-qbittorrent container through it?
Well done.

In order to do that you will have to reconfigure your qbit container to use your surfshark container.

If you leave them as 2 separated containers like you have them atm, then edit the qbit one by adding --network=container:gluetun as part of the docker run.

Be sure to change the name of the container to match your surfshark vpn container.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.