Wireguard dyonr-qbittorrent container not launching

Currently reading
Wireguard dyonr-qbittorrent container not launching

Last edited:
Nope, I didn't change anything in the gluetun service.

This is the compose code that I used a while back to set up glueten as a stack in portainer:

Code:
version: "3.5"
services:
  vpn:
    image: qmcgaw/gluetun
    container_name: gluetun-wireguard
    cap_add:
      - net_admin
    devices:
      - /dev/net/tun
    environment:
      - VPN_SERVICE_PROVIDER=surfshark
      - VPN_TYPE=wireguard
      - WIREGUARD_PRIVATE_KEY=[key]
      - WIREGUARD_ADDRESSES=10.14.0.2/16
      - SERVER_COUNTRIES=Netherlands
    ports:
      - 8080:8080
      - 6881:6881
      - 6881:6881/udp
    restart: always

Last edited:
Have you stopped and restarted the torrent stack? For me, the torrent container loses contact when Gluetun updated, or restarted. A solution for that is to combine the two in a single compose, and use the "depends on" parameter to delay the torrent container.

What would be the exact compose code if I want to combine them in a single compose?
Code:
services:
  vpn:
    cap_add:
      - net_admin
    devices:
      - /dev/net/tun
    environment:
      - VPN_TYPE=wireguard
      - WIREGUARD_PRIVATE_KEY=[key]
    ports:
      - 6881:6881/tcp

torrent:
    depends_on:
      - vpn
    image: lscr.io/linuxserver/qbittorrent:latest
    container_name: qbittorrent
    network_mode: "container:gluetun-wireguard"
    environment:
      - WEBUI_PORT=8080
      - PUID=1027
      - PGID=100
      - TZ=Europe/Amsterdam
    volumes:
      - /volume1/docker/qbittorrent:/config
      - /volume1/video/downloads:/video/downloads
Just FYI... WEBUI_PORT is unneeded unless you choose a port other than 8080. But it is OK to retain.

Thanks so much! It's up and running again :)

Another issue that I've been trying to figure out is about bypassing the authentication step for qbittorrent on local network and besides that only on the external 4G data IP address of my phone. But the setting in the qbittorrent WebUI settings does not seem to do anything. I've got 'bypass authentication for clients on localhost' and 'bypass authentication for clients in whitelisted IP subnets' checked and then filled in: 192.168.1.0/24

However, I am constantly asked to login again when navigating to 192.168.1.0:8080. Can the gluetun wireguard vpn setup have something to do with it? Any idea what I could do to make it so that devices on my local network always bypass authentication?

I seem to be having problems with the new stack after all. Just now both containers in the stack suddenly displayed as 'exited' in portainer and I had to restart them again manually to be able to access the qbit webui at port 8080 again.
But now most torrents just stay at searching for metadata and don't find any peers/seeders.
Any idea how to fix this? Adding both containers separately as 2 stacks doesn't work either since it says 'failed to deploy a stack: service "torrent" depends on undefined service vpn: invalid compose project' when adding the qbittorrent one.

Last edited:
Portainer is quirky when using stacks. Rather than restarting containers, stop and restart the stack. Does that help?

I can't explain the "exit".
the setting in the qbittorrent WebUI settings does not seem to do anything. I've got 'bypass authentication for clients on localhost' and 'bypass authentication for clients in whitelisted IP subnets' checked and then filled in: 192.168.1.0/24
Working for me
AJ0F8Tf.png

Did you click the "Save" button?

Portainer is quirky when using stacks. Rather than restarting containers, stop and restart the stack. Does that help?

I can't explain the "exit".

Working for me
AJ0F8Tf.png

Did you click the "Save" button?
I tried stopping and restarting the stack and so far it seems to be up again.

About the bypassing; I did save it and it does display like below in my settings, but it keeps asking me to login from both my desktop and my phone connected to the local network.

2022-11-16--08.56.52.jpg

About the bypassing; I did save it and it does display like below in my settings, but it keeps asking me to login from both my desktop and my phone connected to the local network.
You might want to ask for help on the qbittorrent GitHub page. If you are using your LAN IP to connect to the container, I'm unsure why you are asked for the credentials.

Thanks I'll try to look into that.

About the connectivity issue I'm still experiencing: the stack just stays active now and I can reach the webui at port 8080 without issues. But sometimes torrents just do no start and stay stuck on finding metadata. They don't find any seeds/peers then. I can manually trigger them to start immediately by changing the listening port in the qbittorrent webui settings. Originally when creating the stack it's set to 6881. If I change it, for instance, to 8999, then the torrents that are stuck on finding metadata immediately find peers and start downloading. If it later happens again, I change the port back to 6881 and again, they immediately start downloading. What is happening here and how can I fix this? Both ports are forwarded from my router to the NAS btw.

Originally when creating the stack it's set to 6881. If I change it, for instance, to 8999, then the torrents that are stuck on finding metadata immediately find peers and start downloading
ICBW, but that points to a VPN connection issue. When you change the port, you are no longer using your gluetun interface, if I understand your post correctly.

The logs from the gluetun container says wireguard is up and healthcheck is healthy.
What can I do to fix this?

If I just add the qbit in container as a stack without it depending on gluetun-wireguard then all torrents start up right away without issues.

Will do that.

In the meantime, I tried to get back to the previous state that was working perfectly where I had gluetun and qbittorrent added as 2 separate stacks in portainer. I used these separate compose codes:

Gluetun:
Code:
services:
  vpn:
    cap_add:
      - net_admin
    devices:
      - /dev/net/tun
    environment:
      - VPN_TYPE=wireguard
      - WIREGUARD_PRIVATE_KEY=<<key>>
    ports:
      - 6881:6881

qbittorrent:
Code:
services:
  torrent:
    network_mode: container:gluetun-wireguard
    environment:
      - WEBUI_PORT=8080
      - PUID=1027
      - PGID=100
      - TZ=Europe/Amsterdam
    volumes:
    depends_on:
      - vpn

The gluetun stack is deployed without issue, but I still get the following error when adding the qbittorrent stack:
failed to deploy a stack: service "torrent" depends on undefined service vpn: invalid compose project

What can I do to add the qbittorrent stack correctly?

I compared my gluetun set-up with a different VPN provider...
I do not use the device: setting
You should designate your first 6881 port as /tcp

I have no idea if these contribute to your issue.
Thanks for the suggestions! Still the same error when I add the stacks separately, but when combining them into 1 stack, removing the devices: setting from gluetun and adding /tcp behind 6881, the torrents do not stay stuck on stall anymore!

So I used this compose:

Code:
services:
  vpn:
    cap_add:
      - net_admin
    environment:
      - VPN_TYPE=wireguard
      - WIREGUARD_PRIVATE_KEY=<<key>>
    ports:
      - 6881:6881/tcp
  torrent:
    depends_on:
      - vpn
    network_mode: container:gluetun-wireguard
    environment:
      - WEBUI_PORT=8080
      - PUID=1027
      - PGID=100
      - TZ=Europe/Amsterdam
    volumes:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.