WireGuard

Currently reading
WireGuard

Last edited:
I got it up and running fine on my Ubuntu machine, but haven't managed to get it to work on any of my Synology machines yet. So I'd also be interested in anyone who has managed to get it running on a Synology, and how they did it.

It says on the web page 'This image is designed for Ubuntu and Debian based systems only'. I'm not sure what 'flavour' of Linux DSM is based on.

Slightly off topic, but I love the fact that the WireGuard iOS app can automatically enable the tunnel when you switch from home network to cellular or a different wifi network, and turn off when you join your home network again :)

…as an update to this I saw an issue with the linuxserver build of WireGuard, which looks like the same problem I was having.

In the end I installed Ubuntu as a VM on the DS218+ at my parents' house, then installed PiVPN (along with Pi-hole). I also installed those on a spare Raspberry Pi I have at home, and they'll all working fine 🙂

I tried as well and I think the conclusion was there is a module needed that is missing that Synology doesn't have, thus the docker won't run from linuxserver. Any luck w/runfalk?

Going about it through an on-device VM is one way around it.

I tried as well and I think the conclusion was there is a module needed that is missing that Synology doesn't have, thus the docker won't run from linuxserver. Any luck w/runfalk?

Going about it through an on-device VM is one way around it.
I didn't play around with synology-wireguard much (& didn't get it running).

Setting up PiVPN in an Ubuntu VM was really easy. I've now set up a site to site VPN using the 'regular' WireGuard install on the VM (didn't quite manage it with PiVPN).

I didn't play around with synology-wireguard much (& didn't get it running).

Setting up PiVPN in an Ubuntu VM was really easy. I've now set up a site to site VPN using the 'regular' WireGuard install on the VM (didn't quite manage it with PiVPN).
Would you please like to share how you setup your VPN on Ubuntu VM?
Is it also working as a gateway for other clients on the LAN network just as you can do with the default OpenVPN clien on Synology DSM? (See screenshot if you don’t understand my question)

2575216A-D049-48EE-AB52-FBDAB3D652DE.jpeg

Would you please like to share how you setup your VPN on Ubuntu VM?
Is it also working as a gateway for other clients on the LAN network just as you can do with the default OpenVPN clien on Synology DSM? (See screenshot if you don’t understand my question)

View attachment 2397
If you enter the Terminal command to install PiVPN it will walk you through the process (it’s very easy), and even offer to make it work through Pi-hole if you already have that installed.

And yes, once I set it up I could access the other devices on my network.

…or did you mean how did I setup the site to site VPN?

I just thought I'd say for anyone trying to set up wireguard on their 918+ install the runfalk package and build the linuxserver wireguard container (I used docker-compose) and it worked perfectly.

@Akira could you tell what you did?
Im running WG on a Debian/VM but i would like to use the funfalk package.
Everything is running but i don't get a handshake with my clients.

I installed his package, then span up a a container using the following (snip from my compose):
Code:
  wireguard:
    image: ghcr.io/linuxserver/wireguard
    container_name: wireguard
    cap_add:
      - NET_ADMIN
      - SYS_MODULE
    environment:
      - PUID=${USERID}
      - PGID=${USERGROUP}
      - TZ=${TZ}
      - SERVERURL=wireguard.${URL} #optional
      - SERVERPORT=51820 #optional
      - PEERS=5 #optional
      - PEERDNS=auto #optional
      - INTERNAL_SUBNET=${LAN} #optional
      - ALLOWEDIPS=0.0.0.0/0 #optional
    volumes:
      - ${SSD}/wireguard/config:/config
      - /lib/modules:/lib/modules
    ports:
      - 51820:51820/udp
    sysctls:
      - net.ipv4.conf.all.src_valid_mark=1
    networks:
      - synology
    restart: always
In the wireguard config folder you'll find peer folders with the connection QR codes, keys, and conf (either use the QR or the keys and conf).

I hope that helps.

Hm.... strange. Looks like my NAS needed a reboot.
I didn't changed anything and it just works now....

Why are you using the Wireguard Linux Server? IT should be fine with just the package.

Unless something has changed from when I installed it... The package just added the relevant modules to support it.
Plus I want everything I can to be ready for when I next upgrade my NAS as it won't be a Synology, that means having everying in their own container.

I'm seeing that this message may be considered spam because this thread is old, but I've released a few YouTube videos that cover running WireGuard on a Synology NAS running DSM7 with runfalk's synology-wireguard. The first video uses the command line to manage WireGuard -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
and my second video, that I just released, covers managing WireGuard using Docker with wg-easy from WeeJeWel -
. Hope these videos are helpful.

I'm seeing that this message may be considered spam because this thread is old, but I've released a few YouTube videos that cover running WireGuard on a Synology NAS running DSM7 with runfalk's synology-wireguard. The first video uses the command line to manage WireGuard -
and my second video, that I just released, covers managing WireGuard using Docker with wg-easy from WeeJeWel -
. Hope these videos are helpful.

Really helpful!

Thanks to your videos I was able to get a WireGuard server up and running with WG-Eazy on a Synology my parents' house.

And I was able to create a WireGuard .spk for my DS1621+ (v1000 Package Arch) at home, and set this up as a client to connect to the one at my parents' for remote backups.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.