Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Yesterday a friend tried to connect to my wi-fi with his Mac computer, but he was prompted to enter a username and password for my network.

Username? I connected all my devices without any username, just click on my SSID name and enter the password.

So, we couldn't figure it out ...

Last edited:
Could it be that his laptop is issued by his work?

I once worked for a company who was so paranoid (and that says a lot coming from a paranoid person like me), that everything was so secure to the point where it could’ve been much more productive had we employed carrier pigeons instead of email!

Are you sure he was trying to connect to your wifi and not a specific device on the network?
Yes, to my SSID name. He tried with his iPhone and no prompt for username, only from his Mac book.

Could it be that his laptop is issued by his work?
I don't know. I'm not a Mac user so I wasn't sure either what to do. I've never seen anything like that before.

I saw this recently too.

My old MacBook 2008 (black plastic) is running some old version of OS X, think in might be Lion (10.7). Decided to see if it worked and it too prompted for username/password for my RT2600ac's main SSID and that uses WPS2 Personal.

I didn't investigate further. Was going to try the guest network.

Yesterday a friend tried to connect to my wi-fi with his Mac computer, but he was prompted to enter a username and password for my network.

Username? I connected all my devices without any username, just click on my SSID name and enter the password.

So, we couldn't figure it out ...

In order to change network properties in Mac OS, you must enter credentials of the local user with proper permissions (i.e. Administrator).

I'm not at home at the moment, so I can not post screenshots, but will do ASAP.

I might have a look into it, which means google it
As I said, I googled it: Mac thinks the wireless network is WPA2 Enterprise, but it isn't

I have 802.11r enabled on the main SSID but not on the guest SSID. I can connect the very old MacBook (OS X 10.7.5 'Lion') to the guest WiFi but not main WiFi.

Here's the relevant post from Spiceworks:
chrispoppe Jan 12, 2018 at 6:03 PM
We finally figured this out at our place. We have multiple access points and with some of the later firmware a new feature became available called "Fast Roaming" or 802.11r; I'm sure different wireless manufacturers call it by different names. All I had to do was to turn off this feature in the access points/wireless router. Older iOS versions do not recognize this feature and get confused when trying to connect. All fixed for us.

Similar issues found by 'the community' and affecting Surface Pro devices.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.