WOL - PC

NAS
DS220J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi all,

I have just migrated from my reliable, but slow now, DS211J to a new 220J. Happy that this now has WOL enabled and works from within home network. Assume the WAN wake is still a no ?

But my proper question, and I apologise as it has probably been raised many times, is about waking a PC with WOL from the DS.

I have been trying to set up a task to run, which I have found from the internet, but no luck. Steps I have done as follows:
  • Enabled WOL on PC in network adapter settings
  • Enabled WOL in BIOS
  • Set up a scheduled task in scheduler, with a script of "synonet --wake 12:34:56:78:90:AB eth0;". The MAC is my PC
  • On my PC I have a Wake On Lan listener and WOL Magic Packet Sender on receive and neither of them register a packet being sent from the DS
Can anyone please advise on troubleshooting steps here ?

Sorry - additional info. DSM version 6.2.3.25426 update 2. AND I did try the /usr/syno/sbin/ in front of the synonet too

Assume the WAN wake is still a no ?
I believe it works. You’ll need to do a subnet directed broadcast usually on port 7 or 9 not to a single IP address.

Edit:
Check this for the WAN part. Not sure about the PC.

I believe it works. You’ll need to do a subnet directed broadcast usually on port 7 or 9 not to a single IP address.

Edit:
Check this for the WAN part. Not sure about the PC.
Thanks - I will try to follow that.

On the other part, I have tried to run Synonet from SSH and seems to work from the NAS, but still nothing in the listener. Wonder if my router is stopping this ? Do we know what port Synonet is sent on ?

Hello,

i successfully woke up my Rackstation over internet with a app called Magic Packet. Should mention is an iOS device, not sure same app is available on Android.

Had to forward UDP port 9.

Best regards from somewhere on the Indian Ocean

Chaos

Last edited:
On the other part, I have tried to run Synonet from SSH and seems to work from the NAS, but still nothing in the listener. Wonder if my router is stopping this ? Do we know what port Synonet is sent on ?
Sorry I don’t know the synonet port. Never used it. But if you’re saying that all of this is on the same LAN then the router shouldn’t interrupt.
Can you access the NAS from this particular PC? I assume yes, but asking to make sure.

Edit:
Another thing. Do you have any firewalls turned on on the PC and/or the NAS?

Thanks all for your help.

So, stage 1 is complete. I downloaded a WOL app from the play store (not the one above but great suggestion). I added my PC to the app and sent a magic packet and the listener picket it up.

I thought great, so tried to wake my PC with the app from power off. Nothing. Did some googling about troubleshooting this and followed all the steps. My Bios was fine, there was one setting in the adapter settings about energy saving that I had to change and voila, WOL app woke my PC.

Then I tried the Synonet again and it worked first time too. Somehow, the listener just wasn't hearing the packet for some reason.

I just need to do a bit more playing around until I can get to either wake the PC or DS from outside and I know one of them can wake the other too if needed.

Great :)

Yes the PC Card needs to be “alive” while the rest of the PC is off to be able to “listen” to WOL packets.

The lights on the adapter (if any) should be flickering while the PC is off as it listens to traffic. The same goes for the DiskStation. Once you enable WOL, you’ll notice that the port lights are on.

BTW, DS Finder has a WOL feature too. Just tap on the three dots in front of the device in DS Finder (at least that’s how it is in the iOS version).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.