Your NAS accessible via your domain.....

Currently reading
Your NAS accessible via your domain.....

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
If you own your own domain and have access to the DNS records you may want to modify the domain to allow connection to your NAS instead of using a Quick Connect Synology account. I've just done mine and it took all of 5 minutes to do

So if your quick.connect.id was 'id.synology.me', and your domain is 'mydomain.com. and you wanted to use 'mynas.mydomain.com' instead of 'id.synology.me'. Then you need to add a CNAME record to your domain with data: type CNAME, hostname 'mynas.mydomain.com', with a points to address of 'id.synology.me', set the TTL to either an hours or earlier figure.

Once that is set and the TTL term has elapsed the name servers are working with the data then you can enter 'mynas.mydomain.com' into your Synology apps instead of 'id.synology.me'. It make things a bit easier to remember or work with.

It may not be rocket science but I'm glad I thought of implementing it :) Hopefully it might be of interest to somebody else :)

can you clarify this?
you say "id.synology.me" for the quick.connect.id, but for me that's not the format of the quick connect URL.
mine is <myid>.quickconnect.to

so are you saying the CNAME should point to <myid>.quickconnect.to ?

Good catch chaps. 'id.synlogy.me' is incorrect and it should be the DNS Hostname.

If I could edit the original post I would but alas it seems it's not possible.
So yes the CNAME should point to DNS Hostname as you have defined in Control Panel / External Access / DDNS, then Hostname. Like the attached..
Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 16.34.54.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.