MafaGiaco75
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have a Synology DS218+ with 3 TB x 2 (SHR-1), and till yesterday I had 80% free space.

Today, I tried to start to try a plex solution on it, and I copied a large folder of 1080p movies on it.

When I get the message "Your storage is almost full" (91% of space is full!), I deleted the folder of plex with all files, and I uninstalled PLEX app from the NAS.

The Problem is that the Storage space stays 91% full!...

1) I used the "clean data" function, but nothing happened

2) Due to this thread on Synology Community (Synology Community and DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc.), I used Putty, which shows 598 GB occupied (as you can see below), but the Storage system still shows the 91% is full!!!!

1611442114854.png

What shall I do? Contact the the customer service for a solution or what else could i first try?

Thank you for helping.

Tad

Empty trash?
Yes I did, manually and in Synology Drive Server...the Drive is still 81% full, and as you can see from my picture, taken from Putty (accessing to my NAS by Terminal), only 598 GB are used of 2 disks of 3 TB!

Hello,

I just wanted to say I solved this issue, disabling the versioning (=version control) from DSM>SYNOLOGY DRIVE ADMIN CONSOLE>TEAM FOLDER.

By the way emptying the trashbins (from every folder and from Synology Admin Console) did not help at all, in my case.

It took one night till the NAS showed again its free space.

The weird thing for me, this happened after removing a large amount of big files!

Thank you to everyone.

versions and snapshots do their job by keeping deleted files,
so even deleting files or emptying the bin, these continue to exist so they can be recovered

it is so be design and set-up (you can disable these), but some times it is no so obvious where the free space has gone

on the other hand,
near full disk drives have an impact in performance
and especially on COW filesystems, like BTRFS and ZFS,
where even going near or over 50% of capacity, the impact may be quite large

Hello,

I just wanted to say I solved this issue, disabling the versioning (=version control) from DSM>SYNOLOGY DRIVE ADMIN CONSOLE>TEAM FOLDER.
question is what was operated by the Drive server in chosen Team folders?
- when folders include Plex media, then everything was correct from Syno side and wrong setup was created by the use.
I have seen, also in this forum, that people use good tool for a wrong service = Syno Drive for a media share with versioning enabled.

Reason: almost 600GB you can’t reach with some office files for home usage

i have seen, also in this forum, that people use good tool for a wrong service = Syno Drive for a media share with versioning enabled.
I use drive to sync folders/files on a laptop computer. I have created separated sync tasks for each folder such as , desktop, documents, downloads, pictures, and videos folders. Is the picture and video folders not recommended to be sync’d like this?

simple and quick answer: you can do it
note: there was main topic the versioning not just the sync
then
we need understand a purpose of such sync process:

1. the video files in your desktop
Due to the nature of the size of the content stored in this file, sharing by Drive is important only if it is a static object that is not part of the editing workflow. They are used therefore only for activities such as play the content or insert into documents w(o editing. In this case, you don’t need to create and maintain the versioning. Just sync.
Partial problem is heavy sized video content. I can imagine some on demand share for travelers. But still w/o versioning.

2. same is valid for the pictures

there is totally different point of view for such files for an editing process. Don’t use such file share through Drive, even with the versioning. Otherwise you can prepare x-time more storage space (follow your versioning setup). Pointless for videos, pointless for photos. You need just RAW storage, editing storage and final stage storage. For an occasional editors in same directory.

Picking up @jeyare's point.

I have a Team Folder for audiobooks, music in low q, basically stuff that I want to access from iPhones File app or over mobile data. I found the Drive app is best for this as the login is nearly seamless (unlike DS file). From here I can easily download audiobooks from within my Bookplayer app. However, I have set this Team Folder with versions disabled.

Even on /home/Drive (My Drive) I changed the versions to be 20. So far that's been more than enough.

Hi...I discovered this string while at the same time looking for an explanation that my DS1815+ filled 10 of 12 Tb in 15 days, and might want to leave my discoveries and feelings here. Evidently somebody turned on Snapshot Replication for a 4Tb common organizer. This replication made a preview that was around 220% the size of the first offer (4Tb + 4Tb + 0.4Tb) This index was a reinforcement registry and didn't have to have depictions turned on, as I would like to think. Depictions are extraordinary for more modest working registries with incessant changes. Catalogs that just get contacted once a day likely needn't bother with previews, particularly while containing extremely huge records.

Hello,

By the way emptying the trashbins (from every folder and from Synology Admin Console) did not help at all, in my case.

It took one night till the NAS showed again its free space.

The weird thing for me, this happened after removing a large amount of big files!

Thank you to everyone.
Thanks for the post. I had the same issue with my d218+. Could not recover space I knew I had. Your post put me on the right track. It was the "versioning" issue. Thanks again,
Harold

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.