Zero knowledge cloud backup of NAS

Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi there,

I've been reading through these forums and others trying to find the best solution for my use case. I'm more confused than ever, but I'm starting to think Synology products might not be able to do what I'm looking for.

My ideal outcome is to have a local storage solution with an offsite backup to a cloud, where the cloud backup is a zero knowledge backup (i.e. the cloud host only sees encrypted data). The only other must have is backing up the photos from my Android phone, but I believe that's a standard feature with the Synology ecosystem. Nice-to-haves are things like creating public sharing links to files/folders and running plex.

I've been able to find info on using various cloud hosts for backup (such as this video), but I haven't been able to find any resources that show it's possible to encrypt the data before sending it to the cloud.

Thanks,
Herbert

Maybe the Hyper Backup help text will be useful? Scroll down to "To enable client-side encryption:" where it discusses how data is encrypted at the NAS before being sent to the destination.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.