root@restyaplatform-restyaboard1:/usr/share/nginx/html# ping postgres
PING postgres (172.17.0.2): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 172.17.0.2: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.191 ms
64 bytes from 172.17.0.2: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.096 ms
64 bytes from 172.17.0.2: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.100 ms
#and so on#
root@restyaplatform-restyaboard1:/usr/share/nginx/html# nc -zv postgres  5433
bash: nc: command not found

Besides that the nc command is not yet in the container (could I fix this?), there are two things that I am the whole time really wondering about:
  1. Although I changed the restya environment variable POSTGRES_PORT to 5433, the terminal output always tells me: "[...] Is the server running on host [...] and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?" Didn't restya get it that I changed this port number?! Or is this just a stadard error message that doesn't adjust the used port number?
  2. In the pgadmin statistics table, my "restya" database is listed with the client address "172.17.0.1/32:56607" although I specified a different host IP in the restyas' database's server settings (there I inserted my NAS address like you described). In the ping result above, I also got a 172.17.... address, but a different one. I am confused. Doesn't this mean that my restya environment variable POSTGRES_HOST also should be this 172.17... address?
Thank you
This means that the communication between the containers is working fine and that’s ok.

considering that you are using nas ip address as your postgres host, now you need to make sure that postgres is available on your network on that custom port 5433.

you can test it from your PC. Depending on your OS you can run the same command as before (nc) just change the destination to your nas ip address instead of the container name. Use that command if you are a mac or linux user.

If you are a win user open up command prompt and try this:

telnet nas ip address 5433

if you get info that telnet is missing you can install it using the Windows features options in add remove programs. Telnet client that it. Then try again.

getting a black screen with the telnet command will mean that postgres is running on that port

Last edited:
Yes I am getting a black screen with blinking cursor. With other, not assigned, port numbers I get an error in return.

What then could be the issue? Could it be one of those I thought about in my last post - basically that Restya still tries to communicate over 5432?
  1. Although I changed the restya environment variable POSTGRES_PORT to 5433, the terminal output always tells me: "[...] Is the server running on host [...] and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?" Didn't restya get it that I changed this port number?! Or is this just a stadard error message that doesn't adjust the used port number?
  2. In the pgadmin statistics table, my "restya" database is listed with the client address "172.17.0.1/32:56607" although I specified a different host IP in the restyas' database's server settings (there I inserted my NAS address like you described). In the ping result above, I also got a 172.17.... address, but a different one. I am confused. Doesn't this mean that my restya environment variable POSTGRES_HOST also should be this 172.17... address?

Yes I am getting a black screen with blinking cursor.
Postgres is fine then

What then could be the issue?
Try and use for the POSTGRES_HOST variable, the name of your postgres container, not the IP address of the NAS. Internal Docker DNS should make them visible in the same network. Try and see if that will fix the problem.

Last edited:
Hello,
i just tried to follow these steps above, but all I get is a
Code:
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
    Is the server running on host "192.xxx.xxx.xxx" and accepting
    TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

my settings are:

restyabord-Container:
Port-Einst.
Lokal: 8077
container:80

postgres-Container:
Port-Einst.
Lokal: 32770
Container: 5432
Envirement:
POSTGRES_PORT: 32770
POSTGRES_HOST: 192...__local_IP_NAS

server and database succesfully added in/ with pgadmin4
all containers are running properly, but if I try to run restyaboard in Firefox with http://192_my_local_NAS_IP_:8077
nothing happens (connection failed)

edit:
just did a telnet terminal over windows:
telnet IP_my_NAS 5432
->connection failed

edit_2:
used the POSTGRES_HOST variable the name of my postgres container
->
psql: could not translate host name "postgres1" to address: Name or service not known

what the heck have I to do to get that thing running... my head is smoking ;-)
Thanks in advance
regards

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.