Is there a way to use the PIA VPN with the killswitch option?

Currently reading
Is there a way to use the PIA VPN with the killswitch option?

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hey folks

I'd like to use my Synology to download torrents through the PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN service.

On Linux/Windows/Mac, PIA has a GUI that lets you activate a "killswitch" - that is, if the VPN is inactivated for some reason, then it will kill your internet connection - that way, if you were downloading torrents "anonymously" through your VPN, your activity won't suddenly be revealed to your ISP. I believe (though I'm not certain) that the LAN connection stays open even if the killswitch is activated.

Is there a way to do this on Synology?

Is Download Station the way people are downloading torrents on Synology?

I decided to buy a used NUC and installed linux and Deluge for torrents.
Did not want to take a risk with my precious data on the Nas in combination with the exposure and many network connections involved. Not even in a docker/ vm.
the NUC is setup in a way that the firewall only allows connections to/from the IP adresses from the VPN.
long story, explaining i did not find the kill switch, On the Nas, you can try to setup the firewall, but this will restrict the nas as well, a docker setup is advised.

Hey folks

I'd like to use my Synology to download torrents through the PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN service.

On Linux/Windows/Mac, PIA has a GUI that lets you activate a "killswitch" - that is, if the VPN is inactivated for some reason, then it will kill your internet connection - that way, if you were downloading torrents "anonymously" through your VPN, your activity won't suddenly be revealed to your ISP. I believe (though I'm not certain) that the LAN connection stays open even if the killswitch is activated.

Is there a way to do this on Synology?

Is Download Station the way people are downloading torrents on Synology?
If you have Docker support on your NAS try this

Last edited:
So I solved this problem with my router. I have one DS dedicated to torrents. I have this one connected to the web via PIA vpn. I upgraded recently my router to a fritzbox 7590. I discovered that I can restrain a computer on my lan connecting to a whitelist of urls. So my DS now has a static ip-address and can only connect to PIA accesspoints that are on the whitelist of the fritzbox.
Depending on wich PIA accesspoint I use, there are disconnections every once in a while. At that moment the DS cannot make a connection to the torrentpeers on the web. I checked this with some special torrents that return the IP-address of my torrent client (my IP-address as seen by the other peers on the web) this gives back the ip of the pia-server.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.