Shlink lost connection

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi Everyone,

Shlink is working fine since its installation, but now after a couple of months it is returning an error (below). Couldn't anyone please help me with some clues how to solve this issue?
Thanks in advance.

1611517644732.png

Solution
Who knows some soul appears here with a clue to get this situation fixed. Just thank you for now.
I have helped myself.

Found the culprit of the whole story!

Secondary DNS on Ethernet adapters of every device.

1611695385195.png

The secondary must be blank! Why? Really don't understand why, since the secondary acts as backup if the primary DNS is down. Who knows anyone could tell me more about it.

Now everything is fine again.

1611695913179.png
Hi Everyone,

Shlink is working fine since its installation, but now after a couple of months it is returning an error (below). Couldn't anyone please help me with some clues how to solve this issue?
Thanks in advance.

View attachment 2906
Shlink shortener?

Running via reverse proxy? Port traffic is not the problem. Looks like the service is not running or the reverse proxy is not reversing to the right port.

Any recent changes? Is this running in docker?

Upvote 0
Shlink shortener?

Running via reverse proxy? Port traffic is not the problem. Looks like the service is not running or the reverse proxy is not reversing to the right port.

Any recent changes? Is this running in docker?
Hi Rusty,

No changes at all, running in docker. Reverse proxy yes.
Just found out what the problem was, I run it on my smartphone under VPN connection! Can't deal with it :-/
I create another shortlink just for ongoing testing purpose, both links loading from desktop and mobile WiFi on the same network. On PC works great as always.

But mobile when I turned vpn off, returns me another error:
This connection isn't private

1611521504947.png

Not just shlink but also host site giving me this time "err:connection refused" warning.

Upvote 0
Hi Rusty,

No changes at all, running in docker. Reverse proxy yes.
Just found out what the problem was, I run it on my smartphone under VPN connection! Can't deal with it :-/
I create another shortlink just for ongoing testing purpose, both links loading from desktop and mobile WiFi on the same network. On PC works great as always.

But mobile when I turned vpn off, returns me another error:
This connection isn't private

View attachment 2907

Not just shlink but also host site giving me this time "err:connection refused" warning.
So on mobile while you are in your LAN or outside? Not sure what URL in shlink will give you that .../sharing URL. Is that something custom you did? Tag, or slug?

In any case, two separate errors in this thread.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
So on mobile while you are in your LAN or outside? Not sure what URL in shlink will give you that .../sharing URL. Is that something custom you did? Tag, or slug?

In any case, two separate errors in this thread.
On same network via wlan, I just tried now, however, no errors this time, the link goes to gofile.me for while then goes to "local ip:port/sharing/logn_URL_trail_code" when in fact it was supposed to show "mydomain:port/sharing/long_URL_trail_code".

Code:
Long URL: http://gofile.me/4gzT9/2NenUczEm
Short URL: http://s1.bjsa.cc/dummyfile

1611586542434.png

1611586572554.png

On the other hand, when I switch connection to outside (4G), all works like it should. At the and "mydomain:port" shows up, i.e., "mydomains:port/sharing/long_URL_trail_code"

PS.: sorry for the smilie in-between (in this case, how can I get rid of it?)

Try it yourself http://s1.bjsa.cc/dummyfile

Is something suddenly wrong with my phone? LAN connection? or what could it be? Some guidance here is really appreciated to understand the situation. Thanks.

Last minute: after trying the same link above (dummyfile) multiple times, even with outside connection, the screen returns now:

1611589325092.png

Sorry this can't be real, there is no logic. o_O

Last minute again: ALL my links under the domain are broken! Not just from Shlink links! Interestingly all links accessed from local PC works perfectly.
So I think the issue is elsewhere, deeper. :confused:

Upvote 0
Not sure how things are configured on your NAS/network, so it’s a shot in the dark.
Can you stop the Web Station package and see if everything works as it should with the above?
Yes, I'll do it. Meanwhile I took a look at this configuration, just don't know what the difference ist between nginx and apache.
On web host, a shared one I have, I use apache but never saw this nginx in action.

1611598321631.png

First I will try to switch to nginx, then see what happens.

Now I saw this little info here:
1611598483366.png

Is this a must to web station work properly?

Upvote 0
I don’t know what are you trying to do!
Why don’t we try fixing the problem you posted about above first.

Just to be clear. All you need to do for testing is to go:
Web Station > drop down menu and choose stop.

See if that makes any difference (for the links).
Sorry, but not just to stop web station ist enough. I had to uninstall http service 2.4 and 2.2, and other packs that depends on, like these:
1611600608231.png

At the end nothing worked: the error page now sends me an error 502. Shlink still doesn't work either.

So I revert all the packages to live again.

The culprit at the end was a missing "s" in http. All my links under my domain works fine now WHEN connected to 4G. If I do switch to wlan the issues persist.
On the other hand on devices which are connected via lan (cable) all work fine, except for shlink links which still remains dead, i.e. whether device connected via lan, wlan or 4g).

Upvote 0
Can you recall if it all started after you installed Web Station?
Keep in mind that enabling Web Station claims ports 80 and 443.

Why do you need Shlink to connect devices internally?
That's mistake, not links as connections I meant links as "short url" which in essence is also a link. ;)

Upvote 0
I understand what you meant. The question still stands, why do you need to shorten the links?
You’re introducing an extra layer where things can go wrong and cause problems (as the case now).
Why not use direct links?
That's the purpose of shorting a link when the original link is too long to paste, for example, onto a mobile instant message.
And why over an already shorted link? Well this default are set when you share a file from file station.
Then you may ask, why not use directly the file station share link instead? Well because occasionally I change the long url (the one in file station) and do not have to share another short link (a changed one) just because the alteration I did in the long url. The idea is one short link to many long url as needed.
It has always worked from the start as Shlink was implemented. There is no logic why not now, at least not because this extra layer you questioned. There is for sure another reason why it doesn't work. But not only Shlink works alternately, the html links (not shortened) from my domain also work intermittently.

I rebooted router and powerline for wifi operation. Also cleared cache and cookies data on each of the browser used among every test executed as given in the table below.

1611612676646.png

(1)ChromeOK
FirefoxOK
BraveThis site can't be reached - refused to connect - ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
(2)ChromeThis site can't be reached - refused to connect - ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
DuckDuckWebsite unavailable - refused to connect - ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
(3)ChromeThis site can't be reached - refused to connect - ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
FirefoxUnable to connect - can't establish a connection to server
(4)ChromeBrings up a Synology Page "Sorry, the page you're looking for was not found"
FirefoxBrings up a Synology Page "Sorry, the page you're looking for was not found"
BraveBrings up a Synology Page "Sorry, the page you're looking for was not found"
(5)ChromeLeads to a long url page but stops pointing to local ip and port/sharing/long_url_code by giving a warning "your connection is not private" ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
DuckDuckOK
BraveLeads to a long url page but stops pointing to local ip and port/sharing/long_url_code, however shows up page giving the oportunity to dowload the file

1611612917335.png
1611612931075.png

Upvote 0
Maybe I misunderstood your use. I thought, from your posts above, that you’re using shortened links for your devices on the LAN to provide access to the NAS (e.g. laptop and camera), in addition to shares that you send outside.
That’s what I meant when I asked why.

If I were you, I’d focus on fixing direct (non-shortened) access first and then turn to Shlink. Start internally (LAN) and work your way out to the WAN (remote access).

Upvote 0
Maybe I misunderstood your use. I thought, from your posts above, that you’re using shortened links for your devices on the LAN to provide access to the NAS (e.g. laptop and camera), in addition to shares that you send outside.
That’s what I meant when I asked why.

If I were you, I’d focus on fixing direct (non-shortened) access first and then turn to Shlink. Start internally (LAN) and work your way out to the WAN (remote access).
Who knows some soul appears here with a clue to get this situation fixed. Just thank you for now.

Upvote 0
I have helped myself.

Found the culprit of the whole story!

Secondary DNS on Ethernet adapters of every device.

1611695385195.png

The secondary must be blank! Why? Really don't understand why, since the secondary acts as backup if the primary DNS is down. Who knows anyone could tell me more about it.

Now everything is fine again.

1611695913179.png

Upvote 0
Solution

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.