DDNS failed.....

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I'm seeing an issue today whereby the DDNS settings on the DS918+ are blank (instead of the external IP being shown) and the NAS is reporting there is no external connectivity. On checking the Synology account for the connection that reports all is normal.

I've rebooted the NAS and it looking at the Synology account it now shows that DDNS is offline. Hostname and IP blanked out...
Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 17.53.45.jpg

Any ideas folks?

What I meant is that you don't need any encouragement "to monitor" the issue. You're constantly worried about it and it's at the top of your head, judging by these posts :)

Unfortunately, I don't think they bothered to go over the posts here. You'll be lucky if they read your message (support request) twice to try to understand it. That's my experience with support personnel. As usual, I could be wrong (and unlucky) :)

I hope they fixed it and all is good.

Upvote 0
Ah right indeed. When hosting a forum on the NAS any downtime is unacceptable.

I can't complain over the Netgear Support that has been offered, I think it is USA based but I tend to get pretty good responses and they do seen actively involved / interested in resolving the issue.

Upvote 0
Latest from Netgear:

Please accept our sincerest apology that we are still unable to resolve your issue. We are very eager much eager to have this resolve with your cooperation and I hope that you will give us some more time to debug it. Our higher tier are working with the Bit Defender team to check the problem.

I did point out to them that it's 13 days 5 hours since I last suffered with the problem.

Upvote 0
I had a call from them yesterday, they asked how things were for me with the issue. I advised that I've not had the problem for over 3 weeks now and as far as I myself was concerned the issue looked to be fixed. I did state that it was still an issue for other DSM7 users.
They advised they we're still waiting for the higher tier developers to report back (IMHO after liaising with the Bitdefender Armor team - my own opinion there). I did say I wanted the ticket to remain open until they had the information I could feedback to Synology so that the problem could properly be closed out from both sides.
At least we know now it is a Bitdefender Armor issue and I guess we need them to apply whatever fix they have made out globally?
For me it's now 23 days, 23 hours, 54 minutes since I last had to toggle Armor off / on to resolve the issue.

Upvote 0
As the problem seemed to have been eliminated (no issues for 39 days) I backed out some of the changes which had been made while testing the situation.
These were:
  • Removed the cable from LAN2 and turned off using multiple gateways
  • Set LAN1 as the default interface
  • Changed the port forwarding on the Netgear Orbi to point to the IP address of LAN1 instead of LAN2
Within an hour and a half the problem reoccurred.

I've now backed out those changes and I'll see how the situation goes. I have advised Netgear & Synology of the situation.

Upvote 0
It has been stable for nearly 24 hours so I've now:
  • Disconnected the Ethernet cable from LAN1 (leaving LAN2 connected)
  • Turned off 'Allow Multiple Gateways'
  • Set DOS protection on for LAN2
So that fixes my security issues. So we'll see how it goes from here :)

Upvote 0
Today Netgear has replied to me with:

As per the engineers the issue was caused by BD agent incorrectly handling some of the packets. Let us know if you have any other concerns or clarifications.

I have replied to them saying:

So does that mean the issue should be fixed for all Synology DSM7 users now?
If so do you want me to check with the other users who were affected and also tell Synology?
Should I be okay to go back to using LAN1 on the NAS?

I am waiting on their reply.

Upvote 0
Interesting reply from Netgear:

As per the team it will be fixed in the next release no ETA was provided yet. Let us know if you have any other concerns or clarifications.

So I've gone back with:

So is this then an issue with each and every Orbi and the fix will be in place when the firmware is updated?
This sounds strange as the problem has not hit me four 2 weeks now with no firmware uplift. Or have support put a temporary fix in place (tied to my MAC address etc?) so it is fixed for me?
Can you please get some clarity from the higher tier as I've got at least 3 other users to advise as well as Synology.

It'll be very interesting to see what they come back with.

Upvote 0
A final update from Netgear:

I have checked this with the team and they confirmed that engineering did no change on your router. They just identified the cause and confirmed that they will address it in later firmware release that we do not have an ETA yet.

It seems there is no response as to why I'm no longer suffering from the issue. I have asked....

Upvote 0
Well I got a final reply from Netgear, after this I'm giving up chasing:

Basing from the response I got, there was no explanation why your issue got resolved all of a sudden but they did confirmed the cause and is already working it with Bitdefender team to get it addressed. Furthermore if the issue would reoccur we can still open a new ticket and re-escalate the case to them to get an update of the fix.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.