DDNS failed.....

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I'm seeing an issue today whereby the DDNS settings on the DS918+ are blank (instead of the external IP being shown) and the NAS is reporting there is no external connectivity. On checking the Synology account for the connection that reports all is normal.

I've rebooted the NAS and it looking at the Synology account it now shows that DDNS is offline. Hostname and IP blanked out...
Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 17.53.45.jpg

Any ideas folks?

It is supposedly AI-driven and supplied by Bitdefender ..... and if so I could believe it self-fixed itself, but that is at odds with what Netgear have said.

Upvote 0
With SRM's Threat Prevention it uses the public ET Open class/signature set. On a schedule SRM will update the local rules with the latest. This has caused issue in the past when IP phone service (e.g. Google) stopped working when new rules for high/low port STUN detection were added: I don't know if they took the deny action I assigned to normal STUN connections but these new ones where denying high/low port connections. I had to just allow STUN to get this to work as I have family members that use these systems for education and volunteering.

But likewise there have been a tonne of new rules for intercepting the recent Apache Log4j attack. So it's swings and roundabouts.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I can understand the logic there, so it could be tied in to a firmware update that would be needed to fix it. Maybe.
-- post merged: --

Well after lasting 35 days 4 hours the Orbi / Armor blocked the connectivity to the internet again. I've just had to toggle Armor / off / on again to get it working. Sigh.

Upvote 0
Well it is completely bolloxed again so badly I've had to disable Armor completely. I vented a lot of spleen at Netgar:

I did raise a ticket with Bitdefender (1007084068) on Thursday and I'm yet to receive a response from them.
I do understand these things can take time to resolve it is just very frustrating to have Armor as a useful defensive tool but having to disable it to allow my NAS to be fully operational and my forum to run.
I do feel that if I hadn't gone through the pain of reporting / testing this issue it'd just be ignored. It seems of the people who have reported the issue I'm the only one who has fought it through and gained any response at all.
I do wish now I'd not renewed the Armor subscription in December (when the issue seemed to be hitting me).
Anyway for now I'll leave Armor turned off and once (if) it is ever fixed I'll be looking Netgear / Bitdefender to extend my Armor subscription for the time the problem has been in place (since August last year).......
Anyway I'll continue to be as patient as I can and hope that eventually beta (or release) firmware is made available to resolve the issue.

they responded with:

This is acknowledged, once the Issue is fixed we can request for the unused Bitdefender subscription to be extended because of the Issue.

For now what we really need is just to wait for updates from both sides Bitdefender and Netgear.
I really appreciate you being patient about this. Meanwhile what I can do is to keep the case open for now since the Isssue is not yet fixed.

Anyway that brings this up to date..... so yep I'm keeping the pressure on!

Upvote 0
I got a response from Bitdefender and they asked me for debug data so I've sent them some of the historical data I sent to Netgear. We'll see what happens.
Interesting that the guy who responded didn't seem to know about Netgear contacting them over the issue even though I'd sent them all the data Netgear had sent to me.

Upvote 0
I informed Netgear what Bitdefender had said and got a rather interesting reply:

We are checking if we can provide you with the release date for the fix and if we can provide you the file you requested. Please stand by for an update.

The file I requested was possibly beta firmware with the issue resolved?

Upvote 0
To help resolve this issue and to force the NAS to 'reappear' in Armor I've had to make it appear as a new device so I have changed the LAN port, network IP address etc.

The NAS is now appearing as a different device type so I'm hopeful it might make a difference.

Upvote 0
Interestingly I updated Synology with the fact that Netgear & Bitdefender were still investigating and I got back:

May I double confirm on your DSM7.0.1 (DS918+) could work now or still has the same issue?

So does this say that they acknowledge a problem caused by themselves? I think it could! Needless to say of course it doesn't help :(

Upvote 0
I hate to say it but I'm glad it's still not just me :) I'm going to continue pushing with Netgear / Bitdefender and Synology.

Latest is that Bitdefender have confirmed what Netgear have said that a fix will be in place with the next firmware. Still no ideas on the ETA at all though.
I'm hoping that Synology have also made some changes in DS 7.1 bets, but I'm too chicken to try it :)

Upvote 0
We have movement:

our engineers prepared a trial firmware that should solve the issue.

In a separate email I will be sending a beta agreement - we need you to accept it before we can share the firmware. Once accepted, I will send the link to the firmware.

Upvote 0
Well yes. The good news is that as of now (6 days, 8 hours, 33 minutes) since the firmware was updated I've not suffered any loss of connection at all. The bad news (is it?) is that the Orbi has not logged one single 'attack' in its log.

On the prior firmware I used to log around 300 attacks during the week. I have informed Netgear of this along with a typical day's worth of attack entries. I'm waiting on feedback from the engineers as to whether these were all false positives or whether the logging feature has been turned off in the beta build. Other aspects on the logs still seem to work, just not that for attacks. I'm due to chase them tomorrow.

It should be noted that Armor still reports that attacks against the NAS are taking place and those are visible in Armor system as notifications but do not show up in the Orbi log.

Upvote 0
Well yes. The good news is that as of now (6 days, 8 hours, 33 minutes) since the firmware was updated I've not suffered any loss of connection at all. The bad news (is it?) is that the Orbi has not logged one single 'attack' in its log.

On the prior firmware I used to log around 300 attacks during the week. I have informed Netgear of this along with a typical day's worth of attack entries. I'm waiting on feedback from the engineers as to whether these were all false positives or whether the logging feature has been turned off in the beta build. Other aspects on the logs still seem to work, just not that for attacks. I'm due to chase them tomorrow.

It should be noted that Armor still reports that attacks against the NAS are taking place and those are visible in Armor system as notifications but do not show up in the Orbi log.
Can you maybe post the name and number of the firmware version you are using. I like to request that one from Netgear Germany too.
Thanks
Markus

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.