blackvoid DSM 7 public preview is LIVE!

Currently reading
blackvoid DSM 7 public preview is LIVE!

DSM 7 public preview is LIVE!

Finally! We have waited and waited, but DSM 7 public preview is finally here!

Announced initially last year Dec 31st, Synology opened up public preview signups for their upcoming DSM 7 NAS OS. Unfortunately, on Feb 13th, we got info that the preview version will be delayed.

For the past 9 months, we haven't had any intel on any new features apart from those that were presented during last year's worldwide conference and some webinars in 2020, more on those here.

But the wait is finally over. Sep 8th, 2020 Synology opened up access to DSM 7 preview to about 6500 users that initially signed up.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Please be aware that ABB and Cloud sync do not work at the moment and there is no going back, once it is dsm 7, dsm 6 install files do not work even with fresh hdd. Other than that yay.

So, anyone installed this yet? Thoughts? :)
Love it.

Have it running in a vm and tomorrow I will install it on my 3614 12 bay. Will be running through everything I can imagine and test it out as much as I can and time allows.

1st impression are super positive. Looking at some features, like SSO, Photos, hybrid share and active insight this dsm7 will be a game changer on many levels.

@oRBIT havent pulled the trigger yet?

I hope we would be able to write and discuss about DSM 7 (especially Photos) soon. :(
Have some questions an thoughts!

I hope we would be able to write and discuss about DSM 7 (especially Photos) soon. :(
Have some questions an thoughts!
Well, you can write about it, on the community subforum for the DSM7 preview. Guess we could share some thoughts here as well if this was a private forum, but it is not. There are parts of the forum that are open to the public (no registration) and as such we would be held accountable for sharing information about the preview version.

Love it.

Have it running in a vm and tomorrow I will install it on my 3614 12 bay. Will be running through everything I can imagine and test it out as much as I can and time allows.

1st impression are super positive. Looking at some features, like SSO, Photos, hybrid share and active insight this dsm7 will be a game changer on many levels.

@oRBIT havent pulled the trigger yet?

rusty do you have a write up on how to install this as a virtual instance. I have a rs820+ (primary device not a test device).I’m sure I can run dsm 7 as a virtual instance without risk to the live side, right?

rusty do you have a write up on how to install this as a virtual instance. I have a rs820+ (primary device not a test device).I’m sure I can run dsm 7 as a virtual instance without risk to the live side, right?
Just log into the preview site and locate Virtual DMS (on the bottom of the device list).

Screenshot 2020-09-09 at 14.57.14.png

Import that into VMM on your NAS as a DSM image and build it from there.

I'm running the preview in a VM on my DS918+

Works perfectly so far and I've already set up a secondary domain controller using Synology Directory Server as a backup server for my DC.

I did already some tests and shut down the primary DC and obviously the backup jumped in, at least after some time as soon as the backup DC was propagated to the AD.

Has anyone installed the preview on a ds1815+ and encountered any issues? It is my backup NAS used for storage and not much else running on it. I would like to get it up and running there first...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.