Remote Access Advice for Webdav

Currently reading
Remote Access Advice for Webdav

Last edited:
Sorry, I’ve never tried Jellyfin (very happy with Emby so far). Best you can do is to find a good Jellyfin installation guide (specifically for Synology).

Web Station is mainly used to enable website hosting and it configures the web servers and other services that are website-hosting related (e.g. PHP).
-- post merged: --

Here’s a guide by Wundertech. Says nothing about Web Station.
I deleted webstation completely and everything works fine. Spun up jellyfin and my RP fell apart. Accessible internally but nothing external to my network.

Any thoughts?

Sorry, I’ve never tried Jellyfin (very happy with Emby so far). Best you can do is to find a good Jellyfin installation guide (specifically for Synology).

Web Station is mainly used to enable website hosting and it configures the web servers and other services that are website-hosting related (e.g. PHP).

Here’s a guide by Wundertech. Says nothing about Web Station.
Any other thoughts. Web station is deleted but when I installed jellyfin my RP gets messed up. Nothing is accessible remotely

Last edited:
So just to confirm. You’re saying that when you startup the Jellyfin container, your remote RP access to other containers get‘s killed and nothing goes through RP remotely even for the Jellyfin container that’s running?

When Jellyfin is running, what do you have when you check the container details under port settings?

One thing you can do, is move your RP to another port (like 4443) and try, just for the sake of testing. Don't forget to change the router forward.

Last edited:
So just to confirm. You’re saying that when you startup the Jellyfin container, your remote RP access to other containers get‘s killed and nothing goes through RP remotely even for the Jellyfin container that’s running?

When Jellyfin is running, what do you have when you check the container details under port settings?

One thing you can do, is move your RP to another port (like 4443) and try, just for the sake of testing. Don't forget to change the router forward.
I deleted jellyfin in anger, lol. I need to get everything else working first since the WebDAV server is used daily for work.

I set router to port forward 443 to 4443. Nothing works. When I make a new reverse proxy however it starts working again. For example webdav.xxxx.synology.me will not work, but if I make a new rule wd.xxxxxx.synology.me it does work. And if I try to then recreate to webdav.xxxx.synology.me it won't work.

I thought maybe firewall issues so I turned it off to test and doesn't work either. It's like things persist (is anything stored in cache somewhere I can reset on synology?)

Are there any tools/ideas so I can troubleshoot this better?

Edit:
Correct me and please point me where to go.

Starting over....So I rechecked and my external domain and it shows the same IP address my router does. So my DDNS should be working to get to my router.

Router is set 443 to 4443 for now. I updated my RP to have 4443 and then resolve to each IP. What next to test if the issue is the router, or the RP?

Edit:
Everything properly working with this setup. However every few minutes I will lose access remotely. No changes on my end but I will have access and then it will fail to load.

I would think since intermittently working the RP should be setup correctly. I'm not sure why sometimes remote is not. Not sure where to go at this point.

I'm not sure what's going on. I have a feeling it’s something simple incorrectly configured.

Here's an example:

You change the forward port on the router to forward 4443 to your DiskStation's IP address and 4443 port (external and internal ports should be the same).
Make sure you have a static or a fixed IP address for the DiskStation.

Then when configuring the reverse proxy (e.g. Jellyfin), you'll end up with something like this.

5E1C23E1-BE02-4263-9250-EA0EAAF6DC17.jpeg

To access it remotely, you should enter:
https://jfin.myds.synology.me:4443

You must specify 4443 because now we're not using 443 (the standard https port that we can omit).

Are you doing something similar?

For Synology's services network ports, refer to the following:

I'm not sure what's going on. I have a feeling it’s something simple incorrectly configured.

Here's an example:

You change the forward port on the router to forward 4443 to your DiskStation's IP address and 4443 port (external and internal ports should be the same).
Make sure you have a static or a fixed IP address for the DiskStation.

Then when configuring the reverse proxy (e.g. Jellyfin), you'll end up with something like this.

View attachment 11719

To access it remotely, you should enter:
https://jfin.myds.synology.me:4443

You must specify 4443 because now we're not using 443 (the standard https port that we can omit).

Are you doing something similar?

For Synology's services network ports, refer to the following:
I'm 100% sure it's something simple and dumb.

Have tried before, but did this again.

So I port forwarded 4443 on router to 4443 internally.
I have audiobookshelf running so adjusted and accessed internally and externally via my synology.me:4443. Accessed my WebDAV (RP pointing webdav.x.synology.me:4443 to 5006). This works fine internally, but not externally.
Then I went back to audiobookshelf and now it's only accessible on the LAN and no longer remotely.

Last edited:
Tested with the firewall turned off and using a mobile phone with Wi-Fi turned off?
Yes. Firewall off and on my cell phone for remote access.

Since last message I recreated a new DDNS since I was getting nsurlerrordomain 1003 on my one app that uses WebDAV. I set it up myds.me, left 4443 to 4443 on router and got it working with audiobookshelf and WebDAV.

After a few minutes continued with the same issue that not available remotely but available on LAN.

Turned off all security on router. Turned off security in synology as well to eliminate that.

Still don't understand why sometimes external works and then it seems to just fail.

The good news here is it does not appear to be a jellyfin issue so I can use it. Bad news is I can't actually share with my parents and sister the audiobooks or jellyfin for family movies we were planning on.....

A shot in the dark but this happened to me once when I was traveling, almost everything resolved but not my DS’ URL. Strangely it worked sometimes. I used 1.1.1.1 for the DNS and it worked. I don’t know why.

Just remembered now. Can you try setting your DNS on iOS to be 1.1.1.1 or 9.9.9.9 and test while Wi-Fi is off.

A shot in the dark but this happened to me once when I was traveling, almost everything resolved but not my DS’ URL. Strangely it worked sometimes. I used 1.1.1.1 for the DNS and it worked. I don’t know why.

Just remembered now. Can you try setting your DNS on iOS to be 1.1.1.1 or 9.9.9.9 and test while Wi-Fi is off.
Well I think we have a winner.

I'm intermittently having things working than randomly will not resolve. I downloaded cloudflare app warp 1.1.1.1 which makes iOS a VPN to use 1.1.1.1 (I guess cellular connection you can't change DNS) and everything works. Turned off and back to intermittent.

I had actually changed my home router DNS back to standard and then back to 1.1.1.1 because I thought maybe that was an issue, but never thought of it on iPhone.

It sucks I need to leave a VPN on for this (as I do have OpenVPN setup which was my backup plan), but at least if family has issues having them download the free cloudflare app and say turn on is easier than me trying to get everyone to setup OpenVPN.

Very strange and interesting! But at least some progress although not logical 🙂

Oh yes, I forgot that you can't change DNS on cellular. I've never tried to understand why it happened as it was while I was traveling. It was on Wi-Fi. I just assumed that it was something to do with the hotel. But now this!

Don’t contact me until 2024 🤣
Just kidding. Enjoy your NAS 🙂

Very strange and interesting! But at least some progress although not logical 🙂

Oh yes, I forgot that you can't change DNS on cellular. I've never tried to understand why it happened as it was while I was traveling. It was on Wi-Fi. I just assumed that it was something to do with the hotel. But now this!

Don’t contact me until 2024 🤣
Just kidding. Enjoy your NAS 🙂
Appreciate the help more than you imagine. I felt like I was going crazy......I finally figured things out enough that it makes sense and then a dumb set back (at least not my issue). I did mess around today and change ports etc to make sure reproducible and it does seem to be DNS. At work my connection always resolve the site, and at home, and my phone is hit or miss. At least if connection issue I turn on the 1.1.1.1 app and everything works.

I do have a domain name for my email through cloudflare so I guess I need to try setting that up......but I'll wait until 2024 to ask for help 😂

No worries. Ask anytime 🙂

See if this is better than Warp:

I've been using it on my iPhone and my DS (AdGuard home container) for as long as I can remember, among the features is specifying different DNS servers (and things like DoH to encrypt DNS requests). It's always enabled on my iPhone.

On the other hand, the way I caught the DNS problem at that time is by testing with this app:

It allows you to test resolving a domain by specifying different DNS servers. Initially it uses (and shows) the default DNS server. It has many useful networking tools. Always my go to app for quick network diagnostics.

If you ever find out what's going on please update us.

No worries. Ask anytime 🙂

See if this is better than Warp:

I've been using it on my iPhone and my DS (AdGuard home container) for as long as I can remember, among the features is specifying different DNS servers (and things like DoH to encrypt DNS requests). It's always enabled on my iPhone.

On the other hand, the way I caught the DNS problem at that time is by testing with this app:

It allows you to test resolving a domain by specifying different DNS servers. Initially it uses (and shows) the default DNS server. It has many useful networking tools. Always my go to app for quick network diagnostics.

If you ever find out what's going on please update us.
Thanks, I'm going to try both of those tools.

Definitely seems to be a DNS issue since always works via 1.1.1.1, but the intermittent component of working via cellular still throws me. I was thinking if just calling synology and asking (as well as setting up my personal domain as an option too). Am thinking the personal domain if works then it's a synology domain issue, if persistent and reproducible with that domain as well then it would appear to be a Verizon issue with DNS?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.