NAS Compares Synology First Time Setup Guide for Beginners - 2021

Currently reading
NAS Compares Synology First Time Setup Guide for Beginners - 2021

Welcome to NASCompares YouTube channel!

Check out our next video below.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

NAS Compares Video

- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

A new record ... 45+ minutes
16 minutes of jabber before the first PC screen view of Synology Assistant appears!

First off... Personally recommends v7. Then the setup...
Creates an administrator account using the name "adm1n" and uses a weak password.
Personally recommends auto-update for DSM and packages.
Checks "Data Analytics" permission.
Creates user account with weak password.
Chooses RAID5 (4-drive NAS) and btrfs format with 3 drives, and activates "hot spare" feature with fourth drive.
Creates shared folder. Does not enable data integrity.
Unnecessarily sets shared folder rights to both admin accounts and guest account (yes... neither admin or guest account is disabled).
Shares interesting
yg5w5fs.png
folder with viewers.
More to come in next video...
45 minutes of my life wasted? If only one benefits from this summary.

I never watch videos of talking heads trying to "teach" me something. I want to read it so I can scan it quickly and bale if necessary (as it would appear on this video)!

While I haven't watched the latest video, I certainly watched many of the NAS Compares videos when trying to decide between QNAP and Synology at total beginer level and I found them very useful. There are many such videos available, some are useful, of which personally I class the NAS compares videos and my-doodads, but many others are not. I suppose it depends on your knowledge and expertise - or lack of.

FWIW. I value both Synoforum and NAS Compares; but I don’t learn effectively from videos and I personally find all the NASCompares cross postings here unnecessary if not mildly annoying.

when the audience target is = young NAS newbies, more likely not a power user from a computer side
this target is driven by “show mi fast and furious guide”, they don’t care about starters. They need a main meal even with a desert now, immediately. Better with single button click.

when the audience target is = NAS newbies and also power user from a computer side
they again don’t need such starter.

then the target group of this guide are maybe a Patient newbies/not a power users who appreciate when someone shows them the way in a detailed tutorial include all the meal courses (antipasti, primi piatti, secondi, contorno, dolce i caffe). And that's good, after all.
I do not evaluate the quality of the information provided. But this is unnecessary for this segment. In time they will come here and in addition, they will fix it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.