blackvoid NEW Synology 2.5" SATA and M.2 NVMe SSDs are here

Currently reading
blackvoid NEW Synology 2.5" SATA and M.2 NVMe SSDs are here

NEW Synology 2.5

What a surprise this is. Synology just announced their very own SSDs! Coming in two form factors. 2,5" SATA and M.2 NVMe these new drives have capacities from 400GB all the way to 1,9TB.

NEW Synology 2.5

New SAT5200 SSDs 480GB - 1,9TB

PDF specificiations for 2,5" SSDs are here.

NEW Synology 2.5

New SNV 3000 models at 400GB

PDF specificationos for M.2 SSDs are here.

It will be sure interesting to see these drives in action am I am sure soon we will. More details can be found on Synology site for both 2.5" and M.2 models.

Continue reading...

Synology is from my point of view in business model crossroad:
- business model based on all features in the HW price only isn’t sustainable in long term. As we can see there is really short list of licensed features till now. Then it’s a question of a time, when they will change it.
- when they will keep the mentioned business model, they need monetize their brand. And this approach we can see in RAM modules now or in all PCIe extension modules (NIC, cache). But power users with experiences (because power user principle) can find a way how to use non-Syno parts with same or better added value. And everywhere (in this forum also) you can find a way how to do it. What isn’t in line with such branded strategy.

Then how to make a more money from the storage market?
1. Change strategy to conquer the majority of the market (SOHO, SMB), which has no idea it needs a NAS. And I think that this their biggest weakness, because their power channels for such sales performance comes from e-shops. And e-shops will prefer vendors with better profit for them (in search). And big e-shops will ask more money, because they know their market position.
2. Change strategy how to catch an enterprise segment. Synology doesn’t provide maintenance support, but there is bigger weakness - backup of all setup in case of migration to new device.
3. .... and we can continue till next morning

Then we can see next “fruit” of Syno business brainstorming = Branded SSD.
It’s a kind of monetizing of new NAS purchases:
here they can catch part of their new customers from NAS-newbie segment (and up to 4bay NAS is really large segment) who needs just disk capacity and someone provides for them NAS with SSD during purchase process. But which e-shop will chose Syno SSD, when they have plenty of another vendors listed? Hm.
For a monetizing of the current installed base, it will be even harder, how to argue to existing NAS owners to purchase Syno SSD? Is there a market needs?

My question is - Is it right way to consume market development energy in such full SSD market? How much SSD profit are you expect from such business?

No doubt, this is Synology management decision.

When you need produce your own SSD you need:
- your own R&D then you need invest a lot for it. Really lot of money. Then you can invest to your own factory or purchase a “production” time-slot in one of existing factories for SSD.
- purchase a license for such production in your own factory, then you will use just same components and technology specifications as the license provider
- purchase just license for your brand in such product, but development and production is covered by 3rd party.

Is there someone who believes, that Syno invest to their own storage media R&D or factory?

I would like to recommend some action to Syno Product management officers:
- be clear and write to the Product list what kind of technology is used for the SSD announced. Because I miss this critical info in this official white paper. Seems to be a training from WD (in case of SMR)? I hope for 3D TLC.
- to save an effort with “our SSD brand” because first smart guy will read from the SSD microcontroller who is the producer, then “magic” will disappear. Because the microcontroller in SSD is the most important differentiator (after kind of Cells technology).

When you compare Datacenter line of Kingston (also produced in Taiwan), then DC500M (480GB) has same and better performance and lifespan conditions as the similar Syno SSD. Ofc, for better price from Kingston. And Kingston has one more advantages = many public tests.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.